PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Here's a couple of anecdotes that might amuse you (and bear in mind that I'm generally considered liberal, but I also believe in science): I saw my doctor a while ago, and while we were discussing my sleep apnea problem, I mentioned to her that I was a participant in a lung study research project, co-sponsored by the NIH, to determine why only about 11% of smokers developed lung cancer. When I read the literature that I was given that indicated this, I was quite surprised. The doctor then told me that the NIH recently withdrew its support for the study. (My part in the study, centering on the genetics of smokers, ended a few months prior.) I wasn't told why nor did I ask--I got my $50 for participating in the study. But gee, can you imagine why the research was cancelled?
Another anecdote: Among some items that shaintiquiles sent me a while back for our first pipe club meeting was a fabric bag, with the name "Sutliff Tobacco" stenciled on it. I didn't realize I was supposed to give the bag to a club member until later when it was too late (sorry, Dave, my screw-up). My sister--smokes maybe five cigs a day--visited us a couple of weeks later, and since this bag was somewhat like the bags grocers ask customers to use instead of the time-honored grocery bag, I asked her if she wanted it for this purpose. She looked at the bag and said sharply, "No." Why? Because the bag had the word "Tobacco" on it, she said. I went speechless for a second and uttered something incoherent about political correctness. My sister believes albino alligators wander the sewers of New York, too.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Science is a cruel master, from various points of view. Most studies don't give the answer expected. If people

start out with the idea that a study will support a particular policy, often it doesn't. Having been "inside the game"

for a long time, I would be skeptical that this study was discontinued because the answer wasn't what the policy

people wanted. Scientists make their living doing successful studies, but they are also expected to ruthlessly

critique others' studies from many points of view in a process called peer review, and in this process, they get no credit

for pulling their punches. The study design, the follow-through, the skill with which the data is analyzed, the

quality of the sample, and many other factors can cause the funding to be cancelled. Even with studies that hold

up under this relentless scrutiny, funding is always a problem. I haven't followed the NIH budget recently, but I

dare say that they are operating on lower budgets than in decades. So this could have been discontinued purely

for lack of funds. The public tends to suspect that study results are skewed and cooked, but in few other fields

is this less true. The quality of science education for most of the population is so poor that most barely know what

science is, good or bad. Most people have no rigorous exposure to the scientific method and what it demands.

It sounds elitist to point this out, like the speaker/writer is some sort of smarty pants, but having translated science

for the public for about 35 years, and with no claim to being a scientist myself, I think this is a fair representation of

how science works, and doesn't. Now when things are handed over the regulatory agencies and become subject to

political and economic pressures, of course, you get into a different world. But the science, for the most part, is

as close to an objective quest for the factual truth as human kind is likely to experience. Believe it or not.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Great points mso. Having been correctly educated in a field of science and just finished my master's thesis, I know a lot about what you mean. Even as a student we have been taught to read research critically and ask many questions. And having conducted a research study for my thesis I can tell you it's a huge PITA. One of my professors h has conducted numerous numerous studies that show sports drinks (gator ade) work no better than water. They have offered her a million dollars for this research. She refuses to budge. Like she has some sort of vendetta. I give her alot of credit.
Sparrow do you still have the literature from the study? I would be very happy to read it. Or even if you just have the sources.
If you ever hear about a research study second hand like in the news or other media, realize that the people reporting on it probably do not have a background in that field and are not qualified to accurately assess how well the research is performed. Journalists with no science background interpreting research as they see fit is not at all accurate. You are bett er off looking up the study yourself and making your own conclusions, as I often do if I happen to be interested enough

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You are all quite right, there could have been numerous reasons for withdrawing funds from the study. I should have asked for follow-up literature, but the truth is, I was just interested in the $50 I got for participating. Mercenary me. And I am a hard-core believer in science, and fail to understand how anyone cannot be. There are examples I could give, but they will start fights, and some might remember when I voiced what I thought was an innocent question some time back. Actually, it is the subject of my second anecdote that bothers me more, probably because it is more personal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rsuninv, good points. You have to ask where a study is published, and by whom, and with what funding. Much that is

described as science isn't peer reviewed and the so-called researchers are not educated as scientists, or are not working

in their own fields. Some forensic science is actually practiced by technicians who are just using prescribed tests, and not

always correctly. Because real science can be powerful and effective, the mystique of science gets borrowed by lots of folks

who have something to sell or a point to make, but no scientific authority at all. Occasionally, real trained scientists get

caught faking results or inventing data. Being a human endeavor, you get people who go off the tracks. I did know one

Nobel Laureate who started with his prize discovery by getting absolutely contrary results to what he expected, and it was

that result that drove him to figure out what was actually happening. When he figured it out, he was scoffed at by colleagues

for years until, of course, they figured out he was right. This was communication through the walls of cells, something called

signal transduction.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I believe in science as well, however my faith in human nature is not as sound. In my opinion the biggest problem with science is it relies on funding to be completed. Like a well put together feasibility study in business a scientific study can be skewed in various directions to support the desires of the financial backers. If a researcher wants to keep their funding and potentially their job they need to keep their financial backers happy by providing data that supports their interests. One could then make the argument that this is not true science and that only in rare small circumstances where we do not have outside influence can true science be found.

As the age old saying goes, it is more profitable to treat the common cold than it is to cure it.
Or maybe I am just becoming cynical as I get older

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Is the science being done in an academic setting with government funding or in a setting with corporate funding and a financial interest in the outcome? Is it then "science" or a branch of marketing.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Don't think for one minute that government does not have financial interest and political interest in a biased outcome.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Without commenting on the thread, I am impressed with the wealth of knowledge and breath of experience this forum group contains.
Thank you all for sharing and participating.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Something relevant to the discussion at hand that some may find of interest:
Publishers withdraw more than 120 gibberish papers : Nature News & Comment
Conference proceedings removed from subscription databases after scientist reveals that they were computer-generated.

http://www.nature.com/news/publishers-withdraw-more-than-120-gibberish-papers-1.14763

Status
Not open for further replies.