PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I am looking at buying my first Meerschaum. I was looking mainly at Baki ones who is regarded perhaps as the top living carver, but I noticed some pipes by Medet Kara which looks outstanding. Any info on them? I know sometime Carvers good in aesthetic might be problematic in the mechanics of the pipe. It look like Medet Kara is using modern tenon connection which should be good but I am still wondering if they are good smoking pipe. In addition I noticed his pipes are colored with yellow beeswax, I don't dislike it but I am wondering if there is any problem with it. Any info appreciated.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
I've heard nothing negative about Medet, and I understand that Altinok, who sells his pipes, is very trustworthy. I think any you buy on Altonok's site will tend to be good, and Medet's carvings are nice.
Beeswax color is really up to the buyer's preference. If you want your pipe to color, don't buy one of the dark red, black, or burned-finish pipes, but both bleached and unbleached beeswax pipes will color.
I tend to love Sadik Yanik's work, and his catalog has a lot of beautiful pipes for around Medet's prices. That being said, though some of his pipes are white, his amber-colored carvings start out BRIGHT GOLDEN YELLOW. They will color. The other downside is a loooooooong wait after you order... and he only takes bank transfers (PayPal completely ceased operations in Turkey). His eBay auctions are good, too, and those take PayPal (routed through some non-Turkish associate).
In short, no I haven't heard anything bad OR good, but being sold by Altinok says what I'd want to know.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I haven't seen anything by Medet Kara. I have two meerschaums by Servi and they are both good smokers. I would suggest looking at the Meerschaum market website. They sell pipes from a number of master carvers.

Status
Not open for further replies.