PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The AP story made our newspaper this morning. I only read it when I'm smoking my pipe, so I'll read it this afternoon. Sounds pretty interesting and he is described as "the plain-spoken, pipe-smoking, bike riding chaplain".

http://enidnews.com/state/x1340808521/Rev-Emil-Kapaun-was-a-hero-to-many-in-Korean-War
2010056308.jpg

n this undated photo released by the Catholic Diocese of Wichita, Father Emil Kapaun, a Catholic priest and Army chaplain, shows his pipe which was shot our of his mouth by a sniper during the Korean conflict.
My father (93) fought in Korea and had a lot of chaplain friends, I'll have to ask if he knew him.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Thanks for this posting. I enjoyed reading the article. It is very special that his fellow service members never gave up in their quest to have him receive the honor he deserved. Hopefully more awards can be given to other service men and women without waiting 60 years.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just read the whole story, which touched a nerve with me and I have to admit being a little misty eyed. Here's a raised pipe to you Fr. Emil!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Damn it!
I've been sending a similar link on Fr. Emil Kapaun's MOH/potential Sainthood to various friends: military, religious and civilian for the last two days. I never once thought of sharing it with you guys and I feel like an idiot.
I'm very conservative in my political and religious beliefs yet I will always stand down to keep from offending somebody on a public forum. (So, maybe this PC business has gone too far?)
Kapauhn, God bless him, was a pipe smoking RC priest, native Kansan and a man who loved his fellow troopers more than he cared for his own personal safety. I'm no Catholic, so I can't speak to the beatification process, but I would've riden the river with him. He was as good as grass and finer than rain.
Thank you, Bradley. You always call the ball and, for all the reasons I admire you, I love you for that one alone.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.