Meat Pie (Or why am I late to the party?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes
24 Fresh Brigham Pipes
18 Fresh Mastro Geppetto Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia. Seems simple enough. I got a sample of Drew Estate's Meat Pie a little bit ago and have been really enjoying it. There's an interesting mild sour-ish kind of flavor which I assume is the orientals, and which I lack the adjectives to better describe. All I can say is that I really enjoy it. The only problem is that it apparently is no longer made. It seems as though there are quite a few blends which fit into this category: blends that I enjoy, but are no longer made. It's my fault for coming into the piping community at the tail end of the golden age. Which brings me around to the point of my post. A question, which is obvious...
Can anyone recommend an english blend that is similar to Drew Estates Meat Pie?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I always use "tangy" to describe orientals. Sour-ish seems to fit too, though. I've never had Meat Pie, so I can't compare it to anything else.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
You are lucky to have procured some Meat Pie. That was a very good blend and I miss it for sure. There is really no comparison, but Stokkebye PS52 Proper English does come to mind. You should try that. Drew Estate hit a home run with Meat Pie and it has a very light topping that tied it together, almost a crossover blend of sorts. Smoke your remaining stash in good health.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I think I have a tin of this sitting in my tub at the house. I still haven't cracked it open yet. I read a lot of good things about it, but just had too many things open to smoke on first before I get to it. I'm looking forward to it. It will be the first blend I will have an unopened tin of that is no longer in production. That's a first for me. Glad you enjoyed it. Once I crack mine, I'm sure I'll probably come back to report just how good it is and how much I will have enjoyed it wishing I had more, but alas.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I also like Gatsby Luxury Flake by Drew Estates and was able to pick up a ton when it was clearance saled.

901blends

Lurker
Apr 23, 2018
I think all of the Meat Pie tins were produced in 2013, so the existing tins have had a long time to let any rough edges smooth.
I think the name "meat pie" didn't help this blend nor the name "drew estate".
I still see these occasionally at B&Ms when I travel.
Meat Pie as a name would probably work better for some matured red virginia, dark fired, perique blend where the resulting tangy smoky tin note reminds you of barbeque.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I think all of the Meat Pie tins were produced in 2013, so the existing tins have had a long time to let any rough edges smooth.
I think the name "meat pie" didn't help this blend nor the name "drew estate".
I still see these occasionally at B&Ms when I travel.
Meat Pie as a name would probably work better for some matured red virginia, dark fired, perique blend where the resulting tangy smoky tin note reminds you of barbeque.
Have we met? (;

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I've got PS Proper English on the list for my next order. I've always heard good things but haven't gotten around to that one yet. One that I did see on TR.com as a similar was Westminster which I do have and tried a bowl again since it's been a while but it doesn't have that same tangy/sour thing from the meat pie. Of course as 901blends pointed out, this would be aged meat pie as well. Which sounds gross because of the food connotation but is a really delicious medium english.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
So I just tried some PS proper English for the first time. It's definitely the best PS lat blend I've tried. It reminds me of Meat Pie enough that I think I will survive. Thanks everyone for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.