PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
A great American, a great citizen of the human race, and a great Hoopster, has left the world much better for him having lived in it.
I was sad to see Meadowlark Lemon passed away yesterday at the age of 83. He was one of my idols as a young man and will always arouse in me the images of humor, kindness, and the best of qualities a human being can exhibit.
Meadowlark used basketball to entertain, educate, and bring a better life to many people who would not have had one if it had not been for his great selflessness and generosity.
The line is surly long, being made up of the many average Americans as well as the rich and famous of the world, who will smile and think of a "Full Court Prince" when they think of Meadowlark Lemon.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Love the Globetrotters, in the 70s a radio station has a contest in Baton Rouge to meet the Trotters when they played at LSU. Wonders of Wonders my 10 yr old son won. That night of the Game someone called in a bomb scare, attendance was sparse but son met them all, got stocking hat and ball signed by all. He was a credit to Humanity. They were Top Notch in my book.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
He had the name to go with the remarkable talent. I'm not sure if it was given or assumed, but it captured the drama of his life.

pastordaniel

Lurker
Sep 20, 2015
The half-court hook shot he did is still etched in my mind. Amazing person with amazing skills ... RIP.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Really sorry to hear that. Had the opportunity to see the Globe trotters twice. The last time here in Poplar Bluff. Our oldest grandson was on the team that played against them and he ( the grandson) made a half court shot that had them shaking their heads. Meadowlark didn't play much but did put on a good show.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Meadowlark had grace, humor, and a magical smile. He had a deadly hook shot that was part of his comedy act it was so ridiculously out of normal range.

He and the Globetrotters showed African men in a positive light with skills, humor, intelligence and grace.
Unfortunately, he omitted one guy on his list of those who made a mark with the hook shot, when he mentioned Abdul Jabbar and "Higgins". I would always mention Tommy Heinson in the hook shot conversation.

Heinson

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I'd say virtually everyone beyond "a certain age group" has all seen him in person. The Globetrotters are true Americana! RIP Meadowlark

Status
Not open for further replies.