PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
All I know is that McClellands Latakia offerings prove a little too mild for my liking. One of the Cajun blends has Kentucky in it, forget which one it is, but I LOVES me some Kentucky leaf so maybe one day Ill snag a tin of each of these.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I like them both alot, the dark is a bit stronger and alot like a VaPer but different, the special is just like it says, rich and smokey. They both have a really smokey flavor, totally different than latkia but kind of the same effect if you can understand. The special is alot lighter but still very good.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I'm glad to see this post and looking forward to reading comments from others. I just purchased a tin of the Cajun Dark (Ebony). It's in the mail along with some others.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Aren't the McClelland Cajun blends made with Kentucky processed similar to how Perique is made? I thought I read that somewhere.
Cajun Black is the first new pipe tobacco component in more than forty years. It starts as Virginia seed, grown in Kentucky. Then smoked and finally pressed and cured in barrels the same as Perique tobacco.
I guess if sounds funny to describe smoke as smokey flavour, but it's really really smokey. Never tried the ebony though, but considering how good the other 2 are it's got to be a good blend.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The "Kentucky" leaf is a Virginia that has been cultivated in Kentucky; fire cured, which gives it a Latakia-like smokiness;

and then Perique processed. I've had the Dark, and I thought it was just OK. It doesn't have a VaPer's plumminess,

but for those who are opposed to Latakia, its smokiness -- owing to the fire curing -- is tolerable.
Everyone should probably try a tin at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.