Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
A lot of name variations, Vanilla Creme v Sweet Vanilla, etc.

A lot of difference in price.

Of course, the subject is aro.

Lane and McClelland are more expensive than the others. Are there big differences in the brands? Can anyone give some comparisons between a "flavor" from one v another?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find vanilla a flavoring that's hard to stay with through a whole tin or smaller sample. It's sweet and lively and pleasing through a bowl or two, but it has just never stayed in my rotation long. Of the blenders you mention -- guessing -- I'd hold out the most hope for Peter Stokkebye or Lane, just because I've had good experiences with other aromatics from them. I tend toward whiskey, rum, plum, and anise. The tobacco has to be good quality and play the starring role.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I can say Mcclellends make quality aro's that will dry to a crisp if you let them, whereas with some aro's I've found still fresh after 5 years. It comes down to quality

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Thanks. I hope to hear more. I will be buying a couple pounds in the future, not counting the speculation stuff I buy. Even if info is conflicting it still helps me put together the pieces. I was looking over some of the brands yesterday and after an hour I realized I hadn't even considered Lane. Thus a reset.

As much as this seems so newbie there are so many darn choices it's hard to make one without some opinion/fact

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Question was more about brands vs others.

I have plenty non aro, but do like aros half the time. I'll dump nothing

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Intersting topic.
Mac Baren Vanilla Creme is in my regular rotation, but for the life of me, I can't taste any vanilla in it. It smells like it, people tell me the room note is lovely, but to me it just tastes like a very slightly sweet and just a tad stronger than Mac Baren Original Choice.
Wondering if this is true of most "vanilla" blends.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Personally I have better luck with McClelland and PS. I think their tobacco is top quality.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
To varying extent, we have all fallen victim to the marketing of tobacco blends. Starts with the name and continues in the write-up on the tin. Pease is a master at this, every word of his tin notes carefully chosen for the maximum allusions to pipe smoking splendor and tobacco sophistication. But you can't blame him for being justifiably proud about what he does so well, and like everyone else, he is chasing a living. My point then is not that he is a savvy marketer but that many are, and between them they keep us running after new blend after new blend when previous generations have smoked OTCs in modest pipes and found all the satisfaction they needed. I read that many smoked just one blend.
The OP asked for bulk suggestions. When I was coming up I stayed away from bulks as I thought them second best. I think the chances are that they are as good as premium but that the seller has chosen to be competitive in the bulk market and is willing to make less money. It's a different market not really a different product.
I smoke a lot of GH Dark Flake and SG 1792, both of which endear themselves to me at $50.00-$60.00/500 g. That's my benchmark, and I find all the quality I need in them. I do, resentfully, also pay tin prices, but I tend to shy away from this. For instance, I've been wanting to buy Moztek Tom's Plug, but that's tin pricers. Not yet.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I have to agree on MacBaren. I have not gotten much out of them, even their tinned mixtures. I will look into McC and PS bulk. Have tried a couple, but not the blends I am speaking of now.
Saltedplug: I don't smoke that much that I could afford to just get tinned. I would probably save money, too. I always like to save (everything but money) for a rainy day and buying by bulk seems to be the answer... to whatever I may be asking.
I'd like to have a good cherry, a good vanilla, but would be satisfied with a cherry vanilla. The one Toby that I really fell in love with, Peterson Nutty Cut aside, is Corn Cob Pipe and Button Nose. I get all sorts of Christmasy flavors from that. In fact, the description is understated. Just would not want it all the time.

Going to get an ounce of the Scented Dark Flake to see what that does for me. I appreciate that plug. 1792 seems like a lost cause. Like Esoterica and Germain, should I be of fortune to grab some I will try then, but not holding breath

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Been noticing something that is going to make me rethink what I already have.

On two pouched blends, one being IR Three Star, the flavor a few weeks after I opened the pouch seems to be more intense now... and I have not jarred it. It's very possible that I have a winning combination and may not have to keep bleeding green. But, I am still thinking the tinned ones. If I can find 100 to 500 grams it may be worth it to rethink that. Orlik would be a total money saver right now.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Thanks for the tip, Andy. It was on the long list, but I shall bump it up with next order.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
It is almost certainly not true that bulk is equal to tinned tobacco but that it is marketed to appeal to the cost-conscious. If a blender fashions a tobacco that he knows can command tin prices, he would be unwise to sell it as bulk. Russ Ouelette has made many blends for P&C, but his top tier costs more.
I was reading a review of Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye by a reviewer who goes by the name of Puff Daddy that I've known for some years on the forums. Savvy piper. His original review was that it was of moderate quantity, and apparently he put it in a jar and forgot about it, and on retrieving it after a few years, found he liked it much more, the take home being that the tobacco was young and simply needed age. If age is the corner that Stokkebye cuts, it doesn't amount to much for the buyer.
In the end I must believe that there are probably a number of bulk blends that would satisfy me. P&C sells a lot of bulks. 4noggins has Oriental Dusk by John Patton that is a steal at ~$35.00/pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.