PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Sitting down tonight with some Red Ribbon and Red Flake. I continue to be surprised that I enjoy the ribbon more considering that I'm a huge McClelland VA Flake fan. McClelland 5100 isn't even in the same league as Red Ribbon and I've never had any other red VA ribbon that could come close to McCranie's. Anyone else had any other surprising moments like this between two similar tobaccos where you expected to favor one but it turns out you were dead wrong?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
You're right on both counts - Red Ribbon is about 56.6 times better than 5100. And the ribbon is in no way inferior to the flake, and given the opportunity, I'd buy Ribbon cuz ... why not?
I like flakes, and there are some blends I prefer in flake form for various reasons, but really... really really, I rub 'em out mostly and shove 'em in the pipe, just like ribbon.
The trouble with the 5100 shortage isn't (to me) a lack of 5100 - I can do without it. But a whole whack of other stuff is gonna get scooped up faster than it can be replaced, and the market's gonna get funny.
Enjoy your red ribbon. It's amazing stuff.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
As much as I love flakes, I rarely fold and stuff either. There's just something special about flakes that usually comes through in the flavor to me. And I'll definitely enjoy the Red Ribbon. I've only got one more tin of it so I'll have to restock soon. I was hoping to continue stocking up on 5100 but I'll agree that the repercussions down the line for other blends will have more of an impact on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.