PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
Several months ago, one of our forum member sent me a tin of Red Flake dated 2005. This was my first McCranies, first flake baccy and first product that had been cellared (in this case 9 years.) I could not keep the stuff lit to save my life. I decided to give up and offer it to another forum guy, sent him a PM but he never responded. So it has sat for weeks. Last night I decided to try again. Instead of folding the flakes into the pipe, I rubbed it out and used the swirl method to pack it. Yea! It actually remained lite!! While I'm not certain it's anything I'd buy and keep in rotation, at least I've gotten a chance to smoke a few bowls.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I found it needed a few weeks in the tin to dry out. I also found it best, for my packing technique and smoking cadence anyway, rubbed out. So keep at it. It wasn't love at first smoke for me but I'm really happy to have a few more in the cellar.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Is there a online site that sell this? I have searched and can only find reviews of it. I love flakes and wanted to try it.

scotties22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2012
Kansas City, MO
You can buy it at mccranies.com. I think the tins they are selling now are from the 2008 crop. You can check epray for older tins. Last year about this time I was able to get my hands on more than a dozen tins of the 1983 and another 10 of the 1996(a mix of ribbon and flake). If you want to get it a bit cheaper and age it yourself buy some McClelland 5100 and tin it up. The 1983 is magical and one of my favorite smokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.