McCrainie's

(19 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by lasttango
  • Latest reply from saltedplug
  1. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, I get this alert the other day that Red Flake is back in stock. I have always been meaning to try it, but never have. With all this talk about Red Virginias becoming more scarce, I thought I better get these tins now or never. I do like RV's very much. Upon ordering, I was surprised to learn that I had to send a check. It's been years since I came across an internet retailer that didn't take credit cards. I didn't mind. After all, I was planning on cracking a tin when it got warmer out anyway.

This afternoon, I got notification that my tins had shipped. I hadn't even made out my check to them yet and they were already shipping my tins.
    I figured I better call them to let them know that they were sending the tins before I even sent the check. There must be a mistake. So, I called McCranie's.

They said they always do business this way and never have problems.

Wow. It's so nice to discover a retailer that trusts their customers this much. It's even nicer to know that pipe smokers are generally people who can be trusted.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have bought from them several times and they ship first and you send your check when the product is received. Very nice people to do business with.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lol yep, it freaked me out the first time I ordered from them. Great old school service at its finest. Very cool to talk to on the phone as well.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

Wow, theres something you don't find anymore. Handshake deals that actually mean something.
    What a breath of fresh air.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. derfargin

derfargin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

CHECK?!?! Who the hell writes checks anymore??

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

CHECK?!?! Who the hell writes checks anymore??

I recently moved to a town that has several restaurants that accept only cash or checks, even in this day and age.
    It would drive me crazy if they weren't all awesome old school mom and pops that make me go back for more.
    Its almost like a badge of honor at this point, with any companies I run into that refuse to be held hostage to credit card fees, and usually means quality service or product.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

That's one thing that I've always liked about McCranie's. They trust me, so I make sure to get that check out right away.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven’t written a paper check in at least 8 or 9 years, maybe longer. I’d really need to search the house to find the checkbook!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. danish

danish

Login to Send PM

This kind of every day story makes me happy, although I have never written a check in my 50+ years young life

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If requiring cash is an idiosyncrasy, then it’s a pretty common one for restaurants in NYC. I’m sure they report all their earnings (nudge nudge, wink wink) but just hate paying the credit card companies their cut...

As for checks, I generally send one out every month or two, but write them online. The check is physically issued and mailed to the recipient by my bank. That way I don’t have to soil my hands with money or even a money surrogate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've been doing business with McCranie's for over a dozen years. Good folks.
    One time I ordered from them around the December holidays, and somehow - not sure how - the enclosed bill got lost, and I forgot about it.I received a polite note from them several months later. I looked back through my register - I write maybe 2 dozen checks a year - and was quite embarrassed to discover my error. I got a check out to them as soon as I could, with an appropriate note.
    I've still got a couple of tins of the '96 crop of Red Ribbon stashed away...

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like i need to check this place out thanks for the post!

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a feeling it is only going to get more difficult to get this tobacco now. But yes, they are amazing people and still trust the customer. It's a breath of fresh air.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

I love that this is they way they do business. I remember being able to call up C&D and ordering sample packages discussing the different blends that I was interested in. The thing that really pushed the pipe smoking hobby for me was how friendly, dedicated and enthusiastic most everyone I came in contact with. It didn't matter if it was someone in forum or a store owner...it has always for the most part felt like such a small tight world to be included in. Almost like stepping back in time to a friendlier and more trusting era.

Nate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I heard they're going out of business.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ribbon is sold out but I picked up some more Red Flake; great service and I just use a postal money order to pay them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I heard they're going out of business.

Not funny.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not funny.

It was kind of funny.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was kind of funny.

I agree, but I was thinking, oh no! Here's another 15 threads full of "prime insinduendo," and he said/she said about whose hearsay should prevail. At any rate, I've said much worse.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   canucklehead, oldtoby, craig61a, trudger, yuda, gerryp, lightxmyfire, bluegrassbrian, rsobel993, ajohnb, lochinvar, cossackjack, jiminks