Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I had been reading superlatives about this blend for years and finally got a tin. I am impressed by it every time I smoke it. Blended with KY, VA and Perique, it tastes to me like Hal O' the Wynd with a sizable dose of Perique; but the tobaccos don't add up, given the tobaccos used, namely the KY. I really can't taste the difference between a deep red VA and the same with the addition of the KY, whose earthiness would augment that of the red VA.
At any rate, this is hearty stuff, not especially in nicotine but in taste; and the Perique is no slouch either, much more than in, say, Pease Fillmore. Fillmore's red VA, while deep, as red VAs can often be, does not seem to spring from some underground source, christened by strength, and the Perique management is much more deft, plenty to be tasted throughout but truly as a subordinate voice.
SC: very recommended

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I picked up a tin of McConnells Scottish Flake while I was it Italy last November...Are the cake and the flake the same blend? I found your review similar to my experience with the flake....

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm working my way through a tin right now and puffing on it as I type.
I like it. I'll probably buy a tin from time to time.
I agree the Perique is pretty noticeable and that there's not too much of a nicotine hit to it.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Thanks for the info Sam, they sounded like two versions of the same blend. Guess I will have to try both! :wink: :puffpipe:

jeremya

Lurker
Mar 9, 2014
I've been getting into Scottish style tobaccos lately, so I was really excited to try Scottish Cake. The tin aroma is amazing...very similar to Escudo. I could just sniff it all day. Very moist in the tin, as mentioned. However, even though I enjoy the taste, I'm having a hard time not getting a really pronounced tickle in the back of my throat--I guess that's the dark fired Kentucky? Anyone else experience that?

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Both sound good to me, I need to order both. I really enjoy those non aromatic tobacs.

Status
Not open for further replies.