PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have been really enjoying the McConnell blends so I have decided to smoke my way through all of them. Here is what I've had:
Folded Flake This is a beautiful sweet Virginia. Right up there with Astley's #44 for me.
Glen Piper I've gone on and on about this blend. It is the only sweet Cavendish blend I smoke. There is some perique in it also. In my top five.
Latakia Flake This is not too heavy on the latakia and is a nice dark flake. I have some jarred but have not smoked it in a while.
Scottish Cake To me this is reminiscent of Old Gowrie, which I cellar, so I rarely buy this.
I have these coming in the mail soon and will update as I smoke them.
Mature I am very excited about this one. It says it is a dark flake with anise. I love anise.
Sweet Honeydew I think this is a sweet Virginia, maybe lightly topped.
Scottish Flake A red Virginia Flake
mixki-942-600x448.jpg

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
No, sorry. If I'm ever I Germany or wherever they make it I'll be sure to post.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
@sallow
I'm a pretty big fan of folded flake and Scottish cake myself. I've also had the oriental blend and found it very good. I'll follow your exploration with interest as I've been meaning to delve into the McConnell blends more deeply as well.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks, @Torque. They seem to have some very unique and interesting blends.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I've been slowly adding McConnell blends to my humble cellar. So far I've only had the Red Virginia & Glen Piper - both absolutely fabulous. After reading your short impressions, can't wait to try some more of their fine blends

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I love McConnell, it always amazes me that are so rarely mentioned. I love Scottish Blend and Oriental, they are great exemplars of their type.

another +1 on Oriental. It is one of the few blends with latakia that I really enjoy. I was also lucky enough to get hold of ten tins of this with +8 years of age on them. The latakia really falls back on these old tins, letting all of the other flavors step forward, spicy and mellow, with a tad more sweetness.

If you like the Oriental, I might suggest trying Dan Tobacco's Midnight Ride. Like Oriental, the flavors change and shift as you smoke it, making for an interesting and diverse range of flavors.
Nice post!!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
stanwell-14-600x448.jpg

I cannot detect a topping on this (I thought it was supposed to be anise). This is a solid red Virginia, a little tang, a little sweet. It is a broken flake, or ready rubbed. It has a nice strength. I could do worse. Nice and moist in the tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.