PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
This is my first flake tobacco, and it's a broken flake. I used the "Cutting into Cubes" method as demonstrated here. The tobacco was very moist, almost sticky. After I cut it, I let it dry for a couple of hours.
It was the easiest pipe load so far; I just dumped in the cut and let gravity settle the tobacco. A few taps against the side of the bowl and I was set.
The tobacco took the char easily, and lit just as well. A clean grey ash formed on top, and I settled in for the smoke; in my Mastersen's "Cut 29" it took about an hour and twenty minutes. Throughout the smoke, I got the taste and smell of prunes, black pepper, damp alfalfa hay, blackstrap molasses, nag champa, hard wood smoke, and allspice. A small amount of dottle was left in the very bottom of the bowl (it tapers quite a bit), but the remainder burned to a fine ash. I relight twice.
It was a satisfying and dense smoke, and remained interesting throughout the bowl and at times, the flavours bordered on overwhelming. That's not a knock against it in any sense, it was, in fact, the perfect smoke for a cool, cloudy evening where I had the time to just let the world pass me by.
The tin states this is a blend that is designed to age, so I'll go back to it from time to time over the next year to see what changes.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I have a tin of this I bought in my last 4noggin order. I have left it sealed though, saving it for special occasions. It had very good reviews on tobaccoreviews.com. My tin is from 2010 so got a bit of age.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
I have a tin from 2007, and a tin from 2010. I am waiting for my next vacation to open them up, and do a comparison. Hard to be patient though!

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Does this blend in any way resemble McClelland's Arcade?? Arcade is one of my favorites!

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
This stuff is heaven for oriental lovers and Virginia lovers, seriously it doesn't get much better than this.
I opened a tin from 04 a month ago, its not bad, hate that ketchup smell though.

Wow! That must be an early release tin because as far as I know they made 340 tins for the original run in 2007, and then reintroduced it in 2009. Probably delicious beyond mortal comprehension at 8 years old.

Jul 12, 2011
+1-This stuff is heaven for oriental lovers and Virginia lovers,

seriously it doesn't get much better than this.
I have blasted through dozens of tins so I can say....outstanding blend,

Tough part is leaving it alone to age once you have tasted it...mmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.