PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Has anyone tried any of this line of aromatics from McClelland? I was offered to fill my bowl with it lastnight at a pipe club meeting by the organizer with some Best of Show he had recently purchased and it was amazing. Not sure of the leaf blend, but it has a nougat casing and seems to hint to some caramel as well. Smoked really smooth and evenly. A full bowl lasted me well over an hour smoking it slowly and chatting with the guys about different blends and pipes and such. Someone said it's an aromatic blend for the non-aromatic smoker.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
I'm a huge McClelland fan ever since I had Frog Morton and Smyrna No.1.
So I'll have to check out their Aromatics.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Hey LOTPR I had much the same curiosity as you. I satisfied it by picking up one 2 oz tin of each of the Mc Clelland Premium blends. My habits over the last few months have been to have about 4 open tins/mason jars at a time. I typically have one English, a couple of vaper or flakes, and one "easy smokin" blend, (I have been having fun trying to find my equivalent to Lawrence's 1Q, …and so far it is 1Q!) Here is what I have found with the Mc Clelland blends thus far.
Mellow Mack - nice easy smoking blend. Glad I tried it, I would smoke it again, but I would not get another tin, smells great in the tin and the room note is very agreeable for mixed company. You can pick up on the honey flavoring in the taste. Pretty fair smoke. It didn't stand out as anything fantastic however. I have enjoyed other mellow easy smoking American aromatics to a much greater degree and the flavor was not unique enough to make me want to get another tin of this over another of the genre.
Captain cool - light sweet and a hint of mint, (a very mild minty flavor, not menthol) - not for me at all, i gave the tin to a friend after 3 bowls, he likes it and has been smoking it every time we have a bowl together. I am not being super critical of the tobacco; the minty vanilla undertones just did not do it for me.
Best of show - pretty good virginia burley cavendish blend (I could be wrong on the constituent tobaccos but that is what it tasted like...) not bad but… I would much prefer 1Q to this blend and to me they are in the same category, nothing bad but nothing remarkable.
These are the only ones I have tried to date. I am about to open a tin of town topic (which is the blend I was most intrigued by in the series) I will let you know how it goes.
Cheers and have a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.