PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I purchased a tin of McClelland's Organic Flake in '02 on a whim never having tried it.
The tin is still sealed...I'm looking for opinions of those who have some, or have had it.
Should I let it age any longer or will more age even be worth while :?:

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I haven't smoked it, but the reviews make it sound tasty, and rare. Here is the link http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=O&TID=1818

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I've enjoyed a couple tins and cellared a few more of C&D's brief offering of Sun Butler's (Organic Smoke Inc.) collaboration, "Organic Pipe Dreams", which was grown with certified organic practices and treated only with organic agave, prune, and vanilla extracts to act as mold inhibitors. The McClelland product appears comparable, but I can only give you my impression of what I've tasted.

First, it's an exceedingly subtle Virginia experience. The flavour is very light, very mildly sweet, and very close to smoking "raw" tobacco--i.e., unprocessed leaf--without the bitterness. If you're a fan of Virginias, have several in your rotation, and are accustomed to smoking very slowly and contemplatively, then you will surely enjoy it. You will also want to smoke through the tin within a week or two at the most; due to the absence of chemical inhibitors, it will mold. Eleven years in the tin will have aged it wonderfully, and I doubt you could make it bite if you gave it a set of false teeth--but again, to really experience the subtlety of flavour, you will want to smoke it as slowly as possible. If you're not as acclimated to Virginia smoking, keep it set aside until you feel up to the challenge, as again it will produce mold within a short time after opening. Enjoy the hell out of it, share it with a friend.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Thanks for the input, I had no idea about the possibility of mold after a couple weeks of opening the tin. since I don't smoke my pipes enough right now to finish the tin in two weeks, I think it is best to not open it at this time.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Virginia tobacco ages well. However, if you have a tin that is 11 years old I would open the tin since a year or two more will not necessarily make it appreciably better.

Status
Not open for further replies.