PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Recently, an unopened tin of McClelland Grand Orientals Smyrna No. 1 came into my possession. At the moment, I am unwilling to open it, due to the fact that I already have several tins open and not enough time to smoke. I have no doubts that the blend is good, seeing as McClelland blends are among my favorites.
Does anyone smoke these on a regular basis? Besides seeing it at the local B&M and websites, I have never met anyone who has smoked it.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
hm, good to know marmalade. what are your impressions of the katerini and the yenidje, both the highland & the supreme? they're looking at me all puppy-dog-eyed like they want to be on my next order.... 8O

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
They're all great. If you like rich flavored Orientals don't overlook the Oriental Mixtures (Green Label) and the Personal Reserve Series (Black Label). My current favorite is Bombay Court, it's a wonderful mix of flavors.

jayh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2010
I've always been surprised that aromatics are as popular as they are when orientals are so available. I never found aromatics to ever have the sweetness of a good oriental mixture.
Too many aromatics are so weak bodied and flavorless that I think beginners who start with smoke them too fast and hot to enjoy. That wouldnt be the case with a Samsun or symrna blend, and they would be sweeter.
Orientals are my suggested jumping off point and there's enough depth in some to make them life long favorites.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I just re-read my own review and had to open a tin...how's that for persuasive?

Seriously though, Thank you for the compliment, Lawrence--it's especially good to hear it from one who has smoked so much!

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Romeo, the katerini is divine, sweet and mild, sometimes a bit spicy, and the yenidje is like sweet and sour sauce! Yenidje highlander is one of the tastier and more unique english blends I've tried.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
Bump! The Drama Reserve is wonderful! Yenidje Supreme was also quite tasty. I see more tins of this series in my future. :D

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
About two years ago I was looking for an alternative to the latakia blends I smoked daily. I've given virginia blends a try more than once and never really came to appreciate them. Somewhat disheartened I ventured into Orientals. What a pleasant surprise.
McClelland's Grand Oriental series are excellent. Among my favorites are Orient 999, Yenidje Supreme and Drama-Reserve. I have a tin of #12 and #14 (Green Label) waiting in the wings.
I've got to add that McClelland #2045 (bulk) is also a delicious Oriental.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I am slowly collecting the tins in this series. I have tried the yenidje highland and throughly enjoyed it. And I just purchased a tin of classic samsun that was tinned on 2007. Really looking forward to dipping into that one!

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
I really like Yenidje Highlander (with Latakia), and Drama Reserve provides a really unique smoke with some sweet olive oil notes. When I had a chance to speak with the blender at a pipe show (which was a real treat), he recommended the Drama to me and it was indeed an enjoyable departure from my typical Balkan or English mixtures. It did need a bit of dry time, but worth a try in my opinion.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
The Smyrna #1 is good but my favorite is definitely Yenidje highlander. It's awesome. I can't wait to try the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.