PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
An unusual request came into the shop yesterday as a customer called in what I later discovered is a 2-3 times a year thing. He wanted as much DNF as we could provide but it had to be long thick flakes, no broken pieces or shake. We weighed out 3 pounds of the beef jerky looking hot pressed flake and the customer happily picked up his goodies. I talked with him a bit about the flake and after doing so I figured I had to try it. Last night I folded a piece into a cob and rubbed out a small amount for tinder. It took some work to get it going but it smoked fairly even and was a flavorful smoke. Woody at times but that dark fired goodness kept sneaking in all the way to the end. Before bed I cube cut 2 flakes and left it sit out overnight. This morning it was a little crunchy but I just gravity filled my largest cob, packed very lightly and filled again.
WOW! What a great smoke! Drying has given the tobacco the ability to stay burning with very few relights and the flavor is a little more pronounced. Sweet Virginias are now dominating and this flake may just be competing with EMP as my day starter smoke. In fact this is the first time in a looong time that I haven't started the day with my EMP.
Anyone else smoking DNF?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I really wouldn't care, I'm breaking it up, or cutting it to put into the pipe anyway. I rarely fold and stuff these days with flakes.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
This is on my list of blends to try at some point. I've looked at it a few times but passed it over for others. Maybe on the next order.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's great stuff, extremely tangy flavor. I didn't even know it came in long flakes, whenever I'd gotten it before it looked like a broken flake that couldn't even of been in long flakes ever. But it's a good mild Va that's really rich in flavor.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've been working on McClelland's Dark Star.

It looks similar and is also an aged, stoved Virginia ... Delicious stuff!
Anyone smoked both for comparison?

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Cobguy, there are many who compare DNF to Dark Star and remark on the similarities.
Trailboss, this is sold in bulk as mostly a broken flake and in the big 5lb bag we had to carefully search for the whole flake. The only reason our shop even carries it is because of this customers request but I for one am glad we do. It's a fragile flake that crumbles easily and I cubed some last night and smoked a couple bowls today and would say that it's my preferred method and it was very, very tasty.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hmm didn't know this even existed. I love Blackwoods flake by McClellands. I will have to get a sample next time I've got some TAD money. Sounds tasty.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
I have a few tins of Dark Star in the cellar but haven't tried it yet. I have heard of folks comparing it to Bulk 2035 though. I know that comes as a broken flake though, not long sheets of flake.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I have recently bought some but haven't smoked any yet. I look forward to it. I bought a bunch of bulk McClelland flakes to see which ones I like best.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I know that comes as a broken flake though, not long sheets of flake.

If you buy the 5 lb. bags they have a considerable percentage of the long flakes.
Dark Star and 2035 are rather similar since they are both based on yellow VA. Dark Star has always seemed to me to have an oriental edge to it that the 2035 doesn't. There's no oriental in it though according to Mary McNiel, who would know.

eightywon

Apr 4, 2014
Yeah I'm trippin'... DNF=2035 :? Lol. Drunk.

It is something tasty though.

dirtydex

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2011
Dark Star and Dark Navy Flake are two of my favourite flakes, but very frustrating for a beginner. It takes a little while to get the hang of packing it.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
The DNF that I got is just a little too moist for my liking and I've noticed that it dries fairly quick if left out for a bit. I'm still searching for that happy medium where I can fold and stuff but still get an even well stoked smoke. Dunhill flake on the other hand can be stuffed and smoked with few relights right from the tin. I like keeping that pressed tobacco together as much as possible because I believe it delivers more of the intended flavor. Flakes are a challenge but worth the effort.

dirtydex

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2011
I find DS this DNF are particularly hard to smoke in their original flake form. In fact, Dark Star is the only flake that I rub out 100% of the time. I tend to crack a tin, break up the entire contents and let it sit open for a week or two before I even attempt it. Same goes for DNF. Two of the sweetest tasting virginias you will find, I applaud the person that can smoke this unbroken.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I have 2 pounds of Dark Navy flake that has been aged since 1992. It is the most wonderful Virginia I have ever smoked, period. No bite, mellow, burns beautifully, and has turned extremely dark and coated with sugar crystals after all these years. Amazing tobacco that I can rave about without hesitation to recommend to all Virginia lovers. No you don't have to age it as long as I have but a couple years works wonders. Just don't expect it to be on the heavy side of flavor like so many smokers are after these days. It's not laced with any Dark Kentucky Burley, or very full flavored like MacBaren's hot pressed Old Dark Flake. It's sublime IMO, and everyone has their preferences. This is mine.

Buy some, sit on it for a while and enjoy.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Used to be that I was obsessed with smoking intact flake; the more intact, the better. But I've not developed the packing technique nor the smoking style to avoid a million relights and a scorched tongue. Now I rub flake out completely. While this is not as aesthetically pleasing, it is a much better smoke.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Docwatson was kind enough to send me some well aged DNF (1993) a few weeks back as well as some SG Best Brown Flake (1999), G&H Bobs Chocolate Flake, (2000).
To date I've smoked samples of the DNF both old and new and can say that docwatsons description of the aged stuff being "sublime" is the best word that I could use to describe what I experienced. Although the current bulk offering is very good on its own, as is, the age on the DNF has dulled the sharpness and added some honey like sweetness to the Virginias. I've shared some with an experienced flake smoker and he was floored by how good it was. I also turned him on to the other samples and we enjoyed some pretty fine smoking that afternoon. I have yet to try the chocolate flake but I'm sure it's as delicious as the other aged flakes.
Many thanks to docwatson for sharing so of his stash with me and in doing so he has created another aging freak that has already started jarring up some various flakes to be hidden away for a few years. I agree that at least with the DNF that a couple years is all that's needed but seeing those sugar crystals on that ancient stuff makes me want to hold out as long as possible.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I got a pound of this sweet sticky stuff and I thought since it was bulk the vinegar/ketchup would have already degassed.... Boy was I wrong, I got a mouth full of McClelland! Despite that it still had good flavor. I'm going to revisit it in a few weeks after letting it fume off, them store the rest.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Yep, the smell is there in the bulk packaging and some time will let it out gas. The aged DNF really had little in the way of aroma but it sure had flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.