PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I have tried several Virginias and never been impressed. in fact, I was turned off by the grassy flavors. However, tonight I popped a 2013 tin of McClelland's Boston 1776, and have to admit to a changed opinion. I admit I am no good at writing reviews, but have to also admit this stuff is pretty good. The tin note was definitely on the nice (to me) sweet vinegary style. The cake nicely folded into my Oom Paul, with just the right amount of moisture. Lit nicely on first match. I recognized the tendency to bite (which other had mentioned about VAs) so the sipping method just easily kicked in, and made it an enjoyable smoke. It is nicely strong, not grassy like the other VAs I have tried, and made a good companion to the small batch whiskey which accompanied.
I will continue to prefer the English/Balkan blends which have become my main smokes, but this will definitely get revisited. Who knows, I just might try another VA, properly aged.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I have tried several Virginias and never been impressed. in fact, I was turned off by the grassy flavors.
Curiously, I'm another English/Balkan smoker transitioning into Virginias. At first I found the taste to be like Canadian cigarettes, yuck. However, based on information derived from this forum I've decided to try again, this time with some aged Orlik Golden Sliced. I'm truly surprised at the subtle sweetness some easy sipping draws out of a VA.
Who knows, I just might try another VA, properly aged.
I'm not saying you'll give up the Lat, but I'm sure you'll be stuck on the VA's from here on in!

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
+1 on the Superior Navy Flakes. Awesome stuff if you like a sweeter Va. I bought 18 oz. a month ago to age, and I have another 4 oz for current use. I have several tins of the OGS as well but I wasn't as impressed. Will let them sit for a few years.

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
1776 has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. There's a lot of comparable blends that deliver similar flavor, but not quite as smooth as this one, but I keep looking.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
There's a lot of comparable blends that deliver similar flavor, but not quite as smooth as this one, but I keep looking.

I find that Butera Golden Cake is very similar to this. I like them both but have gravitated to the cake over time.

3-vas-600x448.jpg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Finally got around to popping a tin of the 1776 and just smoked my first bowl. I'm fairly well versed in Virginia flakes, especially mcclelland, and this seems to be a solid smoke. Perfect moisture content in the ~6 month old tin. The perfect level of catsupy goodness and flavor that is spot on as it is, and will only I prove with time. I still have 2 tins I'm aging but may have to pick up another soon.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
My first VA was a 4 year old tin of Butera Golden Cake. This was followed with a 4 year old tin of Boston 1776. I love both of these, and they really impressed me with McClellan. I have bought more but will let them age. I also bought some 5100 and Blackwoods to age as I have read that they may be similar to the Golden Cake and 1776. So far these two blends are the mark for me for VA. Golden Cake seems a little sweeter and 1776 a little stronger. Both of my 4 year old tins came from the same gentleman, so these must be a popular pairing.

Looking forward to trying more VA after these wonderful blends.

Mar 29, 2016
McClelland's Boston 1776 is one of the best Virginia pipe tobacco in the North American market. Plenty of flavors with the right amount of nicotine. The only problem for me is that I cannot smoke it everyday due to the flavor overload.

Status
Not open for further replies.