PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do you have some McClellands 5100 Va Red Cake hanging around in a jar or baggie?

It's a good smoke on its own, any time, but don't forget what a smooth customer it

can be mixed with something else. I have some high test (nicotine) Tiyo Tabac Haitian

leaf (some kind of burley, I think, not cigar leaf). The Haitian is a nice smoke, especially

late in the evening, when I'm headed to sleep anyway. But the 5100 is the perfect base

to mix in a little of the Haitian as a flavoring and to smooth out the burn, add some

nuttiness, and a little nic buzz. I think 5100 might provide a nice boost and variety to

many blends, even old favorites. It does have that ketchup smell in the jar, but in the

bowl, it's a suave smoke. I also have an unopened tin of McClellands Dark Star, but I'm

letting that gain a little age. Several Forums members spoke well of it, despite it's

irregular cut in the tin (different size pieces from chunks to fine cut). Try 5100 as a mix.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Someone mentioned 50/50 mix of 5100 and MB ODF. Its a good mix that I will do on occasion. Im sure the blending options are limitless

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
The #5100 is getting a lot of attention lately on this forum.
It's a great blend of Va's that "plays well" with others. :)
One of my last concoctions was #5100 with blending Perique 50/50 ... excellent! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've noticed 5100 burns down to white ash more than many blends. It's not a fetish of mine, burning

every bit of leaf, but it is an attractive feature of some blends. 5100/Perique in a 50/50 mix sounds ...

zesty.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
mso489 - Question for you Sir- I usually never burn my baccy all the way to the bottom. I have a little left that will catch whatever dottle there is and Whenever I get close I have a hard time keeping it lit to get the last bit - Do you think I need to pack my bowls more loose or tight at the bottom?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
delro, go for good flavor for the entire smoke, and don't worry about dottle (unburned tobacco). When you

find a blend and pipe that burn all the way to the bottom, that's nice, but it's not an objective in my opinion.

As long as the flavor is really good, and the pipe will relight, go for it, but otherwise, don't worry about

a little unburned tobacco. If you are getting good flavor and an even burn with not too many relights, you

have the pipe packed about right, and you can always adjust and learn a little more about each blend and

each pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.