PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
As someone starting to learn to smoke non-aeros because of tongue bite problems, I tried some McClelland's 5100 Red Cake, sent to me by a kind forum member. Out of the many samples he sent me, I liked this one the best, but it still pales in comparison to my aeros. Now, in your opinion, is Red Cake considered one of the "better" non-aeros? I'm becoming aware that one has to get used to the flavor of non-aeros, and I'm wondering if this is so with Red Cake. Enough, in fact, that I ordered a pound of it the other day. What are your thoughts?

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
5100 is a wonderful mild Virginia. But that being said, Virginias are known for being subtle smokes, ones that require a good bit of technique and practice to coax the admittedly fantastic flavor from. There are certainly stronger and more flavorful Vas than 5100, but you could also try some burley blends and some English blends (with latakia and orientals added to the Vas). Aromatics are certainly not the only blends with happening flavor. Let's see what suggestions you get from the crew...

You get a flavor from aromatics? Red cake is one of my absolute favorites. I think of it as the icon of McClelland's Virginia blends. You will taste the Red Cake-ness in all of their other Virginias, Acadian Ribbon, Top Hat, Pebblecut, Beacon, Aurora, etc...
I often get told that Red cake has a sweet pipe-y aroma when I smoke it out and about, a quintessential of pipe smells.
That said, I love the taste, the sweet red Virginias. And, no, not all non-aros are like this. The genre is vast, with many actual flavors that you can taste. But, in my opinion McClelland is the master of Virginias, just as GLP is the Dark Lord of latakias. I can't even think of another company that has the variety of Virginia based blends that McClelland's has.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Be aware that most tobaccos that we think of (or are labeled as) "non-aromatic" still have casings and toppings added to them. It might now smell like Red Hat Ladies Night in a Yankee Candle shop, but it's there. Many of them still contain some form of humectant, and many have some form of flavoring.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People enjoy 5100 by itself and mixed with other blends because of its simplicity and subtlety. But it is probably not

the best first "non-aromatic." Others that might do better for new non-aro smokers: Sutliff Westminster, Altadis Fox and

Hound, and Orlik Golden Slice, among many others. They have a little more forward flavor while still being mild and

pleasant. Sample everything in a small quantity at his point, until you find something you like.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I would say smoke aromatics if thats what you like. I do find 5100 to be on the sweet side, which is probably why someone recomend it to you as a transition blend into verginas. Frog morton cellar would be a good transition blend into englishes.

Mar 1, 2014
I know this is just the limited experience of another new piper, but at least it's a different angle.

I have yet to get anything close to the same flavour out of any McClelland Virginia as I get out of Samuel Gawith St. James Flake, or FVF, or Escudo. FVF did take about six months ageing before it got really good. Orlik Golden Sliced was decent, I haven't tried it aged.
To my tastebuds, St. James Flake is nearly as sweeet as any aromatic. 5100 tasted starchy, like toast. After six months I got a little change, but not a whole lot. The good news is that starch is what converts to sugar, so maybe in a year or two it'll be amazing, but for now I'm putting McClelland Virginias in the "needs lots of ageing" category.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I enjoy "Red Cake" as well. I like smoking it on it's own and also mixing it with other blends. My favorite mix is 1/2 each of 5100 and ODF. I also hear it ages very well.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Frozen, St. James has Perique and "other" flavorings. FVF has something else in it also, maybe a fig or prune flavor. Not sure about 5100, but it's not straight Virginia either. I'm not making a qualitative judgement here. I love all three, and will reach for them rather than almost any aro. I'm a Virginia/Lat smoker primarily, but I've smoked my share of real, straight Virginia, cut by me from whole leaf, and although it is a unique smoking experience, it's not my choice of what to smoke. Tobacco benefits from processing and flavoring.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions, gents. I added some Trout Stream to Red Cake--not much--and the result was phenomenal. The flavor really rang out with that small addition. I'm sure I'm supposed to add another non-aero, but this new blend struck me just right. Obviously a lot of experimentation is ahead. Thanks, guys!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
"My favorite mix is 1/2 each of 5100 and ODF."
I agree! I do the same mix more or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.