PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I bought a tin of this last month in Vegas, actually, I find out tonight, by mistake. I thought 24 was the ready rubbed and 25 was broken flake, but found out I was wrong tonight when I cracked open the tin.
However, after just one bowl I am glad I made the error. What a fantastic smoke!
Needless to say this has moved to high on my short list for a few tins my next trip south.
One question; Is there a similar bulk blend, like (some say) 2035 is to Dark Star?

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I love McClelland 24 it and FVF are my favorite flakes. They have 2025 English Cavendish, Lemon and Orange Virginia with Xanthi, but from what I've heard it is different from No. 24.....but worth a try I would say.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I see you are fairly new to the forum. I have some McClelland's 25 both fresh and from 2009. I'd be happy to send you a sample of them if you want. PM me an address. I'd like to try the #24 newfie.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
Lochinvar
They have 2025 English Cavendish
Thanks for the tip. I'll be trying that my next trip south.
Jackswilling
No. 24 is one of a kind. I have been buying it up as my budget allows.
It's very high on my next list of purchases.
Hawke, sending you a PM.
As a note, I pulled off the price sticker on the bottom to reveal the date code and it was the 2nd batch of 2011. So it already has close to 5 years on it which may be a reason for the characteristics I'm getting.

There is no bulk even close to Dark Star, unless of course you mean something that is stoved and aged and a Virginia, but yet doesn't taste nor smoke at all like Dark Star. :puffy:
McClelland is that master of Virginias, IMO. No one even comes close to what they can do. I've never had a bad McClelland Virginia, ever.

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
On a side note; MCc's #24 contains Drama leaf.
If you liked the #24, try McC Drama Reserve in the Grand Oriental series.
Personally, I like #24 better. My purchase of Drama Reserve was made much better with the addition of a small bit of Latakia and Unsweetened Black Cavendish. These additions make any of the Grand Oriental Series much better, imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.