PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
The tin smell is that classic ketchup/vinegar McClelland smell mixed with old tires and burning leaves and the tobacco is an attractive ribbon cut that ranges from black to dark brown. Needs quite a bit of dry time to reach its full potential, I left the tin open for a half hour at first, then about another hour before it was really ready to go. The first couple of times I smoked this blend, I got no flavor from it and was ready to dismiss it as a bland blend that smoked kind of hot, but once I realized that I had to dry it a little more, I started picking out a wide array of complex flavors that really blew me away. This blend is no lat bomb by any stretch, but once it dries properly, you get a nice, oily, mouth coating hint of latakia, and the condiment leaves, which according to the tin are Drama, Yenidje, and Red Virginia, make the smoke taste amazing and complex, everything from burnt steak to dark chocolate to red wine and a little bit of musty sourness, and every once in a while you get a nice golden wheat grassy kind of flavor that is really crisp and tastes fantastic. The flavors are subtle yet plentiful, and if you find this blend a little lacking in the beginning, stick with it because there is a lot to like here. It burns readily and easily and leaves only the merest ash in the bottom. Not something I would smoke every day but definitely tasty enough to keep a few tins on hand, McClelland has a winner with this blend and shows how great a tobacco can be when blended with a deft hand and vast knowledge of the leaves being used. Great stuff!

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Nice review. Sometimes I give up on a blend based on the first bowl and, not being very patient, will dismiss and move to the back shelf, what may be a pretty good blend. Everything deserves a second chance and your review proves that.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice review, P.N. :clap: I always enjoy reading reviewers who strive to identify the various tastes and impressions.

The first few bowls of this that I tried seemed to lack the clarity that I'm used to with Va's and VaPers, so I stopped

smoking it. I think I'll have to go back to it and try again.

Jul 15, 2011
I probably should also mention that it helps to smoke it slower than you would smoke most other blends. I know we all say that pipe tobacco is supposed to be smoked slowly but this one especially so as it will both yield the most flavor and will help protect against tongue scorch, because, to my tongue at least, most McClelland Virginias tend to be pretty gnarly if you're not careful. If you respect this blend its an experience that is well worth it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I agree with you 100% PN, EXCEPT for the part about drying it out for an hour and a half (so I guess that makes me in 90% agreement or so).
I've never had a problem smoking this fresh out of the tin and I think it lacks a bit of dimension when dried out.
But that may be a personal preference. Otherwise, great review.

Jul 15, 2011
I agree with you 100% PN, EXCEPT for the part about drying it out for an hour and a half (so I guess that makes me in 90% agreement or so).
I dont normally let a lot of blends dry out that long, but I am particularly sensitive to a lot of McClelland blends so I think that is why it tasted better to me after I let it sit open for such a long time. Most other blends I like that are at this moisture level I only let sit out for about 10-15 minutes. To me, it smoked kind of hot before I let it dry more, but I think youre right bigvan, I think its just personal preference.

Status
Not open for further replies.