McClelland Tin similar to 5100 (Side question on aging)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Hey all,
I smoked some 5100 with almost two years age on it the other night and it was really nice. Very sweet and satisfying.
I was just wondering if there is a tinned McClellands blend that is something like the 5100. I wouldn't mind buying a few and putting them aside. (Preferably one of the $15 100g variety)
I know you are probably wondering why I don't just get my money's worth in 5100 bulk, and that's a good point, but I'm just curious since I prefer to have tins in general...
As well, I was wondering if there are any McClellands you'd particularly recommend for long term cellaring. I've got my eye on Blackwoods and St James Woods but that's about it for now...

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I love me some 5100, but I don't know of any similar tins. I just jar it up and let it age. Sorry!

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
If you like 5100 I'd suggest you go with Blackwoods Flake, IMO it is sweeter then 5100 but not over the top. It is one of my favorites. Other's you may enjoy would be Dark Star, St James Woods, and Christmas Cheer. Their Mature Virginia series in the brown label are also very nice. They all have that McClelland tin note and natural VA sweetness.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Blackwoods is sweeter? Thanks JC - I will focus my efforts there.
It is one of the most popular blends on Tobacco Reviews, so it has always been on my radar, but I've been remiss in failing to try it after so long.
PS: Is St. James Woods essentially just Blackwoods plus Perique or are they completely different? I've heard the former somewhere before...

Status
Not open for further replies.