McClelland St. James Woods and Black Parrot: Worth Trying?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Though I have failed in finding a McClelland straight Virginia that really tickles my fancy I have fallen in love with their #2015 VaPer. Certainly as good as Samuel Gawith's St. James Flake, possibly even better!
Right now I am enjoying a bowl of #2015 and browsing Tobaccoreviews.com and keep coming across mention of St. James Woods and Black Parrot as being quality VaPers from the same company. Has anyone here smoked all three of these blends? If so how do they compare to each other?
I do see that Black Parrot has fewer reviews overall and it does seem to be the least liked of the three. Why, I have no idea.
Any input would be most welcome.
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've never had Black Parrot but I do enjoy the St James Woods. I haven't smoked any in about 8 months but I recall it being similar to Blackwoods but with the added layer of very tasty sweet fermented Perique. I've been meaning to pick up another tin.

I don't care much for the St James. I prefer the Mature #25 without the perique for this particular Virginia process. But, Black Parrot is a remake of an older club blend, and it's very good. But, of the remakes in the McC line, I would strongly recommend the Pebblecut. In Black parrot the Carolina leaf is very subdued. I get a much better balance flavor along with a dash of some oriental in the Pebblecut. I keep a whole shelf of Pebblecut in my cellar, whereas, I only ever bought a few Black Parrots to age. And, I didn't even bother to reorder any St James. Perique just ruins all of the sweetness that the delicate matured leaf gets, IMO. And, if you didn't like #25 or Dark Star, then just avoid St. James altogether. I hope that helps somewhat...

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
St James woods is great stuff. I would highly recommend it. It's one of my favourites, you really have to smoke it slow.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I have both St James Woods and Black Parrot. I like them both. Black Parrot is the one I prefer. I think it has a little more bite/sharpness to it and that is something I like.

With that said, I smoke it occasionally.
I have yet to find that Virginia/perique blend that blows my mind. Black Parrot might be at the top of my list, but I do need to try a lot more.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well then chaps, thanks for your input. Michael, Pebblecut is now on my list. It's not a blend I was aware of but it sounds like it just might suit me. Don, I'm very familiar with Beacon Extra (I cut it 50/50 with FVF) but Bayou Slices is also now on my list. The so called 'Blakeney Exclusive Toasting Process' has me puzzled too but ho hum.
I have spoken with my US tobacco enabler and he has St. James Woods in stock, I just need to twist his arm to seek out the others...wish me luck :puffy:
My last bowl of the night...just finished it...was Tudor Castle which is another one I love though it's more than your regular VaPer of course.
I just wish I could enjoy their straight Virginias more. They look devine, smell delicious (under the ketchup stench) but for me at least are somewhat insipid which is a bugger as I have a whole load of them :roll:
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
UPDATE.
Well my Black Parrot, Bayou Slice, Pebblecut and St. James Woods arrived the other day in a box full of goodies thanks to my Enabling chum.
I have had at least three bowls of each and I'm delighted...each and everyone is a tasty smoke, far better IMO than their straight Virginias. Early days but I think Bayou Slice is the best of the four but they're all superb really.
Thanks for the tips chaps :clap:
Regards,
Jay.

Oct 7, 2016
I have not smoked the Bayou Slices, but otherwise am pretty much in agreement with Cosmic re: the virtues of Pebblecut. However, it AFAIK only available in 5O g tins, and every time I think about stocking up, I can't help but think how much 2015 I can buy for the same money. Since the situation is different if you are buying from overseas, that consideration my at not apply at all or not as much.
But Pebblecut is darn good.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Oldgeezer, be assured, I love #2015 too and have a small stash which I will be adding to. Yes it is indeed cheaper but a very different beast to Pebblecut. They are two totally different blends, the latter being more fruity with a delicate spiciness that I really like.
The cost difference is noted but that said, I will certainly be ordering more Pebblecut to add to my small stash of American blends. The same applies to the others I mentioned. US blends are obviously not readily available over here so I regard myself lucky in having someone supply me.
I would suggest you give Bayou Slice a try...you'll probably love it :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Oct 7, 2016
Jay, aged 2015 is also a different beast than what you have. And, alas, what I have on hand. But not taking anything away from Pebblecut, which I would label a more "Perique forward" mixture. I am intrigued by the Bayou Slices. I find myself frequently nodding my head in agreement with Cosmic when he discusses tobacco.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Let the St James breathe for a good 2 weeks and there will be a big change in flavour

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Hey Jay-

Have you ever tried Tudor Castle, if not I highly recommend it. But again I am a McClelland Whore!!

Oct 7, 2016
Oh, and Jay, I am retired, on a more or less fixed income, and have a really had Castello habit, so I save money where I can.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Jon, yes I am familiar with Tudor Castle and am quite a fan of it. In fact I am a fan of all the McClelland VaPer flakes that I have tried. What I need to do is narrow them down to two or three favourites for future ordering.
Oldgeezer, I too am on a limited income and have to spend my pennies wisely. That said, I don't go out anymore due to disability, I eat and drink very little so my outgoings tend to be low thereby leaving me cash to buy American blends for trialling purposes. The tobacco prices are great, it's just the air freight costs that can be a killer.
Eric, being the VaPer fan I know you to be I suspect you will be delighted with any of the above mentioned blends. Of course should you find one to be a little heavy on the Perique front you can always mix in a little straight Virginia to even things out.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.