McClelland Scottish Woods and Grey Havens

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by homeatsea
  • Latest reply from carlomarx
  1. homeatsea

homeatsea

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's funny that McClelland was just mentioned in another post, because after my first (wonderful) experience with their Frog Morton Original I have been searching their selection of tobaccos looking for new, interesting things to try.

Scottish Woods, in particular, stood out to me. I've scoured over the reviews on tobaccoreviews and I've become even more intrigued. The tobacco contains latakia, orientals, and virginias. As a rookie, I'm not sure how to even categorize this tobacco, nonetheless know what kind of flavor I'm in for.

Grey Havens also caught my eye as I have recently been getting into the world of virginias and va/pers.

Both have been described as light on nic, which is a positive for me as I've found myself quite sensitive to the stuff. Aside from this though, I'd like to know if any of you have tried either of these tobaccos and if so, could you offer up your thoughts on them?

-Home At Sea
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I had a tin of Grey Havens years ago, and yep, I remember it being light on nicotine, and I remember that I didn't care much for it, but don't remember specifically whether it was something in it, or missing from it. This is probably a good indication that you'll like it, since my taste seems to run contrary to most other pipe smokers, especially those who prefer lighter tobaccos. I remember it being fairly boring to my taste, but again....I sort of need to be clubbed into submission by a tobacco to really take a liking to it (maybe I should try dating women like that). I like strong, heavy flavors, and/or nicotine bombs. I'll smoke less "interesting" tobaccos, but not as often, and won't remember them as well over time.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If you like the Frog Morton's, stick with them. I love McClellands, but I am getting away from latakia. If you want to try a non-latakia McClelland that is not too high in nic, I would point you to the Grand Orientals series. Particularly Classic Samsun is a fave of mine, and the Drama Reserve has great reviews also. Both oriental and latakia tobaccos tend to have less nicotine, so any blend with those will be a little toned down in that department.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. rosney

rosney

Login to Send PM

I currently have a tin of Grey Havens open right now. If I remember correctly it is a va/per with a little Burley thrown in as well. It is on the light side as far as flavors go, but I think that it would be a nice intro in the va/per family. You can definately taste the perique but is is very light and a background flavor. I seem to reach for it when I am working because I tend to puff too hard and this tobacco doesn't overwhelm in that situation. Also, if I remember right it seems to behave better when it is on the dry side, almost crispy. Hope this helps a little.

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. hfearly

hfearly

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've opened a 2001 tin of Grey Havens last weekend and have been smoking the weed over the past few days. What can I say? I'd like to like it ... being a 12 year old Virginia blend and all, but really ... I don't care for it.

The main word I'd use to describe the blend is bland (no pun intended). I'm puffing, I see the smoke wafting away, and I taste basically nothing. Only some acidity in the mouth remains, much like eating a pineapple. I'm surprised that even at that age the blend doesn't go anywhere at all. Not even a little sweetness from the VAs?

I think I'll throw out the last half of the tin and move on to something more tasty. My rating: 1/10

Suffering from a serious case of "EPARD", also known as the Estate Pipe Acquisition and Restoration Disorder.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm sensitive to nic myself and find many of their VAs to be just excellent. A good one to check out is Mature VA #27.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Never tried Gray Havens but I, too have been told it was bland -- or as a friend told me, "light to the point of insignificance." He offered to give me the tin, I passed.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. briarfriar

briarfriar

Login to Send PM

Uh-oh. I bought a 1997 tin of Grey Havens six months ago at the New York Pipe Club Show (twenty bucks), and have been looking forward to trying it eventually. Well, one always can blend in some heartier tobacco to taste.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

homeatsea, I don't know what else you've tried, but Cup O Joes #5 is a good Virginia, as is Orlik Golden Sliced, and
    McClelland's Red Virginia Cake bulk. The McClellands is good on its own and "plays well with others," if you want
    to mix it with a little Burley, Cavendish, Turkish and/or blending Latakia.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Grey Havens has that cavendish treatment that is used in the FM series. I find it difficult to smoke but when it's a bit dry it isn't bad. If you like it you might try the stave aged blend, It's pretty good. McClelland did a pre-reintroduction of Scottish Woods in 2004 for the NASPC show. I managed to snag a few tins. I enjoy it a lot. I haven't bought any of the latest reincarnation but I would imagine it's much as the 2004 blend is. So darn many blends being brought out by McClelland over the last six years, it kind of gets overwhelming...in a good way of course.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. carlomarx

carlomarx

Login to Send PM

I smoked a tin of Grey Havens a few years ago. I can second what others have said, I found it to be a tad light, maybe a little bland and better aged and somewhat dry.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   craig61a, odobenus, disinformatique, condorlover1, monkeylyf