Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

McClelland Panic

(115 posts)
  1. barepipe

barepipe

Login to Send PM

I am amazed at the panic that has erupted over MC. A quick check on SP this morning and most of their blends are out of stock. Wow, when a herd of pipe smokers panic they really do stampede something fierce...

Bare Pipe

Twitter: @Barepipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And, because most pipe smokers and even so-called pipe-experts have no idea how tobacco processing works, they think all red Virginias are going away, so they've even bought out red VA blends from other companies. It's ridiculous. If all red VA's are going away, then that ends the cigarette industry completely, ha ha, and that ain't happening.

And, these are the same people who laugh at kids for eating Tide pods because there are hundreds of videos telling them that it will get them high. The very same laughers are believing any ol crap a beareded guy with a camera on their phone is telling them. I've watched a few of these "expert" podcasters and obviously they have no more an idea of how tobacco production works than a pre-teen with a box of yummy gushers from the laundry room.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

theediabeticman

Login to Send PM

No disrespect if somebody likes McConnell Red VA...but I saw a YouTube fella buy over 20 tins bc they believe all Red VA is going away...that is 20 tins of misery being cellared in ignorance

Inspirational quote to be inserted during an inspirational moment
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha ha, I'd have to agree thediabeticman. Better that moron's tongue than mine.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is it any more ridiculous than storing 500 lbs of tobacco? Why poopah a concept you essentially endorse? Only difference is you’ve done it over time. Still amounts to the same thing. And if you are saying red Va = red Va = red Va, I’ll trade you 1.5 to 1 Sutliff Bulk Red Va for the 40 lbs of 5100 you have.

[quote]And, because most pipe smokers and even so-called pipe-experts have no idea how tobacco processing works, they think all red Virginias are going away, so they've even bought out red VA blends from other companies. It's ridiculous. If all red VA's are going away, then that ends the cigarette industry completely, ha ha, and that ain't happening.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Panics do not surprise me. If you've hung around addicts long enough you know that any suggestion of a disruption in the supply of our favorite pacifier is a trigger. In the meantime, regular fans of McClelland products have had time to buy their favorites before people notice stocks are thinning, shout the alarm, and the herd stampedes.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hoosier, reread me. I am saying the exact opposite of what you suggest. In no way are all reds the same, but these sheeple are hoarding all reds of any make, because someone has told them that all reds are going away or are in danger, which is stupid. This doesn't make me jealous or angry, just amused at the misconception. If everyone buys out the crappy reds... that will save the new pipe smokers from accidentally smoking some of that crap.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally and theoretically, I don't have to ever buy another tin of tobacco for as long as I live. But, I probably will, especially new stuff. I have just discovered some new GLP blends that I must have missed the release of while not being online last summer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gotcha. Obviously, that’s not how I understood your post. Regardless, the deal on the Sutliff still stands. LOL

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey offer it up to the Youtube community at a premium, you might make a killing on it. I'll have to admit that I don't think I have ever even seen Sutlif's Red Virginia. Is it the bulk flake they had left over from Altadis?

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It’s a bulk ribbon cut and very bland. Not sure it would make a good cigarette even.

What GLP blends are you looking to try?

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hoosier, I will tell you as soon as I get 40 more tins. Ha ha, but you probably wouldn't liker them anyways. They were made in collaboration with dead grandmas, ha ha.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Personally and theoretically, I don't have to ever buy another tin of tobacco for as long as I live.

Yeah I say that too. Seriously, I don't need more than I have, or even as much as I have. Yet, I'm still buying. And when I was talking about this conundrum with a fellow pipe smoker he offered this simple explanation. We keep buying, even if it's in piddly amounts, because not to do so would be to admit our mortality. Makes as much sense to me as any other explanation.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]n. We keep buying, even if it's in piddly amounts, because not to do so would be to admit our mortality. Makes as much sense to me as any other explanation.

Wisdom.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]Hoosier, I will tell you as soon as I get 40 more tins. Ha ha, but you probably wouldn't liker them anyways. They were made in collaboration with dead grandmas, ha ha.

Just curious is all. From what I’ve seen, our respective tastes in tobacco vary a fair amount. Unlike Harris, I don’t go out and try to corner the market. LOL

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

Joe Blow

Login to Send PM

It's interesting, as I want to avoid the stampede and let it run straight past me...... But, in the eyes of the bystander further back, I appear to have joined the stampede. It's all a matter of where you are viewing the carnage from.

I watched a couple of blends I really enjoy disappearing and thought I better get a couple of tins before the frenzied herd wipes them out. If there were a number of us out there with a similar thought - in the eyes of the bystander with no desire or desire to acquire what the stampede is running at - it would, I guess, look like everyone charging at the prize must be a part of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah I say that too. Seriously, I don't need more than I have, or even as much as I have. Yet, I'm still buying. And when I was talking about this conundrum with a fellow pipe smoker he offered this simple explanation. We keep buying, even if it's in piddly amounts, because not to do so would be to admit our mortality. Makes as much sense to me as any other explanation.

I had a pipe smoking friend with ALS. He kept buying tobacco until he couldn't. He joked about it. He wasn't in denial; the process of choosing, imagining a tobacco's look, taste, and feel, and then actually purchasing it gave him enjoyment, is all. After a while, it was the only part of the pipe hobby he could do.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

Its not just shortage of red virginia.

It has been said by well respected folks that that McNeil's are retiring and some have gone as far as saying some of the blends are no longer produced. Such as Dark Star and Blackwoods flake.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I spent a pretty penny on a bag of 7 year old 5100 a few weeks ago. Not taking chances...just sayin'

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's worse is the skyrocketing cost of aged VA's. Used to be able to snag aged cans for 20-25. Price on most stuff has close to doubled in the past 3 months.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It has been said by well respected folks that that McNeil's are retiring

Wait, did you not just yesterday throw down the gauntlet to eat you hat for Pipestud if this happened?

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its not just shortage of red virginia.

There is no shortage of Red Virginias, ha ha. As long as we have Marlboro cigarettes and the dozens of other we will have mountains of red Virginias. The McNiels just didn't have that one special Virginia they used in Red Cake 5100.
    And, keep that damned Tide pod out of your mouth. In fact, stay away from Youtube. Watch some TV, you wippersnappers.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

Wait, did you not just yesterday throw down the gauntlet to eat you hat for Pipestud if this happened?

It has been said! We shall see. Just saying all these rumors true or not are causing panic. I am guilty of panic buying. And PipeStud has gone by saying on his site saying dark star and blackwoods no longer produced! More panic.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey buster, we want to see some hat eating! You're not getting off that easy. Maybe not today, but when the time comes, I'll be keeping score. Ha ha

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

And, keep that damned Tide pod out of your mouth. In fact, stay away from Youtube. Watch some TV, you wippersnappers.

I will just go back watching fake news elsewhere!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Unlike Harris, I don’t go out and try to corner the market. LOL

I learned my lesson when the good Three Nuns out of nowhere went tits up. I was left with 2 tins and my dick in my hand. I vowed to never let that happen again with a blend I really liked. So now when I find something I really like, I cellar it fast and deep. The latest blend I did this with just so happened to be a Butera blend made by Mc. It is the only Mc made blend in my cellar and I do believe I cornered the market on it.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just got my 1st tin of Dark Stoved...

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I posted on Facebook a week or so ago that I had a bunch of Christmas Cheer that I was willing to sell. I had people all over me wanting to buy some. I had one guy even say he would buy all I had. I replied he didn't know how much I had, nor what I was asking for it. He said it didn't matter, he would buy it all. I finally put together an inventory, and have 224 tins from 1997 to 2017. I came up with price per can, and all 224 is $11,900. I emailed the list to some people that had asked for the list and pricing. I have not heard back from one single person. The guy who said he would buy it all has not been heard from. YUK YUK YUK.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

Hey buster, we want to see some hat eating! You're not getting off that easy. Maybe not today, but when the time comes, I'll be keeping score. Ha ha

It was actually a crow, no stinky sweaty hats for me! You can eat the hat if the doors of McClelland does not lock down this Year!

Not sure why there is combativeness and score cards when we are only talking pipe tobacco here and it should be relaxing hobby!

I just happen not to agree with the notion that they are closing down!

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[quote]There is no shortage of Red Virginias,

The issue isn't a shortage of red virginias, rather, a shortage of red virginias of a quality level sufficient to make certain blends. If you want a high quality McClelland product, then essentially, there are no red virginias. If you want red virginias equivalent to cigarette tobacco, buy the Sutliff I referenced.

IMHO, to make a blanket statement of there is no shortage of red virginias (as relates to pipe tobacco blends) would not be completely accurate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Been using the same method i’ve used for saving money as I use for putting away tobacco. A little here, a bit there. It adds up to feeling fairly comfortable now. Blends come and go, some were really favorites. I love seeing that I was paying $29.99 a bulk pound of various Sam Hawith and G&H blends back in 2004 and a bit beyond. Hopefully McClelland lives to blend another day but after those two interviews on the pipesmagazine radio show, I wasn’t real optimistic.

Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not sure why there is combativeness and score cards when we are only talking pipe tobacco here and it should be relaxing hobby!

Hey, if you don't finish that crow, can I have the rest? It's an acquired taste, maybe even craving, ha ha. I'm not combative, and screw you for saying that. (irony) ha ha. Just kidding. I love irony.

Look, there is not just one way to ferment the Virginia into a red Virginia. There are many different ways. To think of tobacco types like you would... cucumbers is not accurate at all. Think of it like pickles. McClellands uses a specific pickle, and that grandam no longer makes them. However, there are millions of other grandmas making bread and butter, dills, koshers, etc... And, they are high quality pickles, just not the exact pickles that one grandma makes.

It's not just one way all farmers process their flue cured brightleafs. The McNiels were connoisseurs, artistic chefs in funny hats of the Virginia, which is what made their Virginia products head and shoulder above the rest. They didn't just call up a tobacco manufacturer and order 500lbs of basic red Virginia. They were involved with the whole process.

The idea that tobacco blending by many in the pipe smoking hobby is that you buy 20% of this, 40% of that, and 40% of that, and mix them up and smoke them, and you'll have Balkan Soibranie of some other blend. It is not at all like making a sandwich. Or, at least not for McClellands. They want to be involved baking the bread, selecting the peanuts, roasting and crushing them, making the jelly, and then making the sandwich.

Thusly, the worlds red Virginias are safe, even top quality ones, just the specific one that they use for some blends is not. :::sigh::: Sutliff products all use top notch ingredients. They fuck them up to make them taste that way intentionally. Believe it or not, there are some people who even like that stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

VA Panic Solution: SP has 40th in stock right now, and everything is on sale for IPSD.

Brindle Flake, Tawny Flake, Quantum, Sophisticate, and some of the Matured VA line are still available there, too, as well as Classic VA bulk.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And the clocks ticks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Sigh...
    I'm just happy I started cellaring when I did, late as that was. There will be blends that I won't get to buy, and I don't really care. I have plenty of great smokes. McClelland's blends are top notch for what they are, and while they never figured highly in my purchases, I have enough of them to scratch the itch.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. zitotczito

zitotczito

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bought some stuff, a couple extra tins of 40th, 2 tins of Blackwoods, 2 tins of Matured Virginia 24/25/27 to just have some. I went back to SPC and now they are all out of the 24/25/27 just that quick.

I am stocked enough that I am not worried for the future what ever that may be.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. glassjapan

glassjapan

Login to Send PM

It's only been a month since they chimed in on the "A Message From Mike & Mary McNiel" thread, it but feels like the message is getting lost already.

"Mike and Mary have exacting standards for the leaf they use for 5100, but that doesn't mean that there isn't good red Virginia out there. All that means is that what the can currently get won't produce the results they're looking for when they process it."
    Russ Ouellette

"Absolutely right. The sky is not falling. There's more to the story, but that quality leaf is unavailable is a gross overstatement. We recently went thru several samples of currently available red flue-cured that were fantastic. I'm sorry to see ANY tobacco taken off the market, especially one with as many followers as 5100. But, it's NOT the end of the pipe tobacco world, and shouldn't be read as such. Nor will we cheapen our products with "inferior" leaf. Period."
    Greg Pease

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greg, did you really think a bunch of pipe smokers would not go running around yelling the sky is falling when a venerable blend such as 5100 goes off the market, even for a few minutes? You know how we are, we need conspiracies, we live for this shit. Now shouldn't you be working on your replacement for 5100, I know for a fact the McNiel's gave you the recipe and left it in your more than capable hands. I know I read that on the internet somewhere.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You mean all tobacco is not equal?

Hmm.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  40. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

You mean all tobacco is not equal?

Some tobacco is more equal than others.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Riding by with zero rubbernecking, Ain't nothing to see here. Gggrrrrvvvvrrrooooommmmmm!

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. wooooo

wooooo

Login to Send PM

I've said it in another thread but I will state it here as well for what it's worth. I've spoken to my B&M that I've known personally over 25 years. He told me last week if I like anything from McClelland that I should buy it now because he can't order more. If this turns out that Mike and Mary are not retiring, I will eat crow. It just so happens I trust the man at my B&M. I've purchased accordingly. I'm not saying someone like Pease won't buy their blends but I for one know when companies change hands, quality and taste profiles change. If someone like Mike McNiel says he can't source reds that meet his standard, I can't trust future blenders to get HIS (Mike/McClelland's) blends right.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not just the "sheep" buying the stuff up. There's also that little greedy organized "group" who participate in the hoarding. You know, those wonderful "Brothers of the Briar" who pool their money together and snatch up all the hard to get baccys. Then smoke what they want and jack the prices up on the rest of it for re-sale. The Tobacco Mafia Association. A great bunch of little boys.

So no need to piss and moan boys, you could do the same. Or join "The Big (little) Club". Right ?

Or should it be called :

Orwell's Animal Farm.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some tobacco is more equal than others.

Shades of Animal Farm, and just practical.

Royal Yacht is so much more equal than others that it's just... royal, I guess.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahhh, the TTMA, you're not supposed to talk openly about that...

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. elvergun

elvergun

Login to Send PM

If someone like Mike McNiel says he can't source reds that meet his standard, I can't trust future blenders to get HIS (Mike/McClelland's) blends right.

See, this is why I can't trust the rumors (even if they turn out to be true in the end). This is a perfect example of making a mountain out of a molehill...of how fake news are created.

Mike said he could not not find reds that meet his standard to continue to make 5100. You are creating "fake news" by suggesting that he is retiring because he cant find reds for any of his blends...that other blenders will not be able to make those blends right because they will also have problems sourcing reds (or because they are incompetent)...and that because your tobacconist is unable to order more McClelland now, he will never, ever be able to order those blends again.

You are jumping to conclusions and you are making things up...and, in the end, you could end up being correct. LOL

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There must be many McClelland blends that utilise red Virginia leaf in their composition because so many of their blends are all sold out.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Another "The sky is falling" thread. More fuel to the fire.

Oh my oh my...what's a poor boy to do?

Excuse me while I go call my boys who get me overpriced tickets to sports games. Ya know, scalpers..I think that's what they call them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Drive By! Popcorn anyone?

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike said he could not not find reds that meet his standard to continue to make 5100.

Did he put a time scale on this? Could be a crop was bad four years ago, and this problem with be gone in six months.

Either that, or he is choosing a good time to induce panic, in the wake of armaggeDUN, to stir normally sedentary pipe smokers into action.

We can do better than the Whiskey Rebellion...

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. elvergun

elvergun

Login to Send PM

Did he put a time scale on this?

Not that I know of. I first read about the 5100 problem in a thread created around November (don't remember the site). Someone reported Mike was having problems with the reds he used for that blend, but it was also stated that he had a new batch he was going to try. Then there were the threads confirming the demise of 5100 (again, someone reporting what Mike said).

But with all the rumor and the scarcity of all his blends (and the all-out weirdness going on), it does not seem likely that the problems will be gone in six month. It actually seems more likely that Mike will be gone forever in six months.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

But with all the rumor and the scarcity of all his blends (and the all-out weirdness going on), it does not seem likely that the problems will be gone in six month. It actually seems more likely that Mike will be gone forever in six months.

So now you are part of the doom and gloom club but you just added 6 months to the end! How convenient since more additional information has come in, I clearly remember your posting saying how sky is not falling and how you believe GLP and calling out people as liars for starting rumors, what have you! Franco, you change your position with the wind buddy! You can now enjoy those C&D blends that you love so much!!!

I just spoke to two different B&Ms and they both confirmed they are shutting down!!!

Retiring is one thing, shutting down is another! I hope my B&Ms are wrong about this. Also, they said part of the reason is sourcing the type of leaf they are after.

I am starting my lunch plans!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. elvergun

elvergun

Login to Send PM

So now you are part of the doom and gloom club but you just added 6 months to the end! How convenient since more additional information has come in, I clearly remember your posting saying how sky is not falling and how you believe GLP and calling out people as liars for starting rumors, what have you!

What new "additional information" has come in? You are also getting second hand information and passing it on as a fact. Sure, it is a fact that a tabacconist told you Mike is shutting down. What is not a fact (yet) is that Mike is actually shutting down.

We will only know that Mike is retiring, or shutting down, when he releases an official statement (or when three years have passed without any of his blends having been released...lol). Everything else is purely speculation.

Clearly, things are not looking good for McCleeland fans.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm sorry, is something going on with McClelland?

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

57. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

What new "additional information" has come in? You are also getting second hand information and passing it on as a fact. Sure, it is a fact that a tabacconist told you Mike is shutting down. What is not a fact (yet) is that Mike is actually shutting down.

We will only know that Mike is retiring, or shutting down, when he releases an official statement (or when three years have passed without any of his blends having been released...lol). Everything else is purely speculation.

You contradict your self on many levels, from your previous posts on other threads to this one. Not going to brake it down because I honestly do not have the energy!

Its just a big Fing Conspiracy! Until McNeil's are under oath!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Jesse: https://psychology.fas.harvard.edu/people/david-mcclelland

Oh, that's too bad. I didn't even know he was sick. Considering some of the posts in this thread, he would have had a field day here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@sablebrush52, beats me if something is going on with McClelland. But I did notice that over the last few weeks SP has had massive quantities of McClelland products on hand, way beyond what seems to me to have been their practice over the last year or so since I have started tracking their inventory levels. And not just 40th Anniversary. Makes you think that, as one poster said in possibly another thread, Sykes must know something. But, on the other hand, if he did, he would surely have posted something on one of these threads. After all, he did write an article for the front page of this publication about the passing of a giant, but it wasn't McClelland. And surely, if anything else were known that developed after the initial thread about 5100 no longer being made,people like Russ O. and Greg Pease would have weighed in and set the record straight by now. After all, they were very quick to write off the disaapeance of the red Virginia that was used for 5100 as a nothing to see here, move on, moment.(In other words, it is safe to buy OUR red Virginia's).

So, really, with at least three people so well connected in the industry who have posted in this forum in the past, not saying anything recently, there can't be anything going on with McClelland.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

Hopefully some McClelland news (not fake news) will come out of the Chicago Pipe Show if McClelland is there? I would hate to see McClelland's go but if they do I have a few tins each of the blends that I like. I am just surprised that knowing that Dunhill is finished why hasn't there been such a run on their blends? The last I looked, most blends were available. I am sure the time will come and the race will be on to buy the last of their blends...have fun with that I say.

Nate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  61. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually, I have it on good authority, that Mike has been taken by the FDA's black helicopter goons and being tortured to make him stop making his delicious Red Cake which has most of us unable to quit smoking out pipes.
    He has not been available for contact, and is being held in an undisclosed location.

Poor guy, we really should all unite and do something about this.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

@oldgeezersmoker Or they are waiting for McClelland to make the announcement, especially if Greg is taking over some of the blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Actually, Greg is Mike. It's rather obvious, since, Greg and Mike have never been in the same thread together. And, they both make things using red Virginias.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. midwestpipesmoker70

midwestpipesmoker70

Login to Send PM

That makes sense, now it's all coming together haha.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

One Big F*****G Conspiracy! And you all are in on it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh gkr1, Harris bet me $500 that I couldn't get you to eat crow. So, I promised everyone in this thread $5 if they'd help me. Feel the sting...

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

I've begun plucking them feathers off already! $500 is in your grasp! Retiring I understand, closing doors is just travesty!

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

This thread is full of crisis actors and Lane Ltd. bots operating out of a basement in a Virginia tobacco farm! I haven't had this much fun since pizzagate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you see this in your neighborhood, DO NOT GET IN THE VAN!!!! Call the authorities immediately!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. drlpipe

drlpipe

Login to Send PM

Mike said he could not not find reds that meet his standard to continue to make 5100. You are creating "fake news" by suggesting that he is retiring because he cant find reds for any of his blends...that other blenders will not be able to make those blends right because they will also have problems sourcing reds (or because they are incompetent)...and that because your tobacconist is unable to order more McClelland now, he will never, ever be able to order those blends again.

Except he didn't suggest he's retiring over lack of good reds at all. His whole premise for thinking they are shutting down is based on information from his tobacconist, who he trusts. He went on to say that if this happens and someone else bought the recipes, he can't trust they'd get it right and said blends would be different.

I'd fully agree with him. Of course there is and will be red Virginia available, and I'm sure plenty of it is good enough to make good pipe blends. But maybe it's not good enough for Mike. GLP/C&D fans might take offense, but comparing their red VA blends to McClelland's imo is like comparing Budweiser to a craft ale... woefully inferior, but some people like it.

Beyond that, with McClelland VA, like with Samuel Gawith, a lot of it comes down to the processing of the leaf. No one does it like McClelland, and if someone like C&D, MacBaren, or STG bought the rights to the blends there is no way they'd stay the same.

It's possible, if they do retire, that it was coming sooner or later anyway and the issues sourcing the leaf THEY want just accelerated that decision. Who knows. Even if they do close up, they may never say anything publicly. That's not "fake news" it's just conjecture like everything else in these threads.

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   josephcross, jiminks, tnfan, ben88, jpmcwjr, loadclear, monkeylyf, chasingembers, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger