Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

McClelland... oh McClelland... you left us too soon!

(22 posts)
  • Started 8 months ago by jofalltrades91
  • Latest reply from The Pipe Monk
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jofalltrades91

Login to Send PM

So, I’m new to the site but have been enjoying the pleasures of pipe smoking for nearly four years now.

Recently, I took a six month hiatus from my pipes for no particular reason, but have since picked them back up... only to find that my favorite brand had shut its doors, with my preferred blend entirely out of stock everywhere I looked.

So, my fellow pipe smokers, does anyone know of a facsimile to McClellands Avenue A.M. that isn’t Dunhill EMP? I currently have a full tin of Dunhill, but it’s not the same(obviously)

Posted 8 months ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

You know Dunhill went under too don't you? Searching for a suitable replacement may be a lost cause due to the uniqueness of Mike and Mary's tobaccos. Many great blends left out there though. Good luck!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 8 months ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never had nor heard of McClelland's Avenue AM. Send me some to try, and maybe i can come up with something.

Michael
    Posted 8 months ago #
  4. cohibajoe

cohibajoe

Login to Send PM

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/mcclelland-avenue-blend-a-m-pipe-tobacco/1468359/

AM Pipe was created to fill the void during Dunhill Early Morning Pipe's protracted absence from the US, but it stands on its own as a wonderfully light Latakia blend with a delicate flavor that's perfect for a bowl in the morning. Sweet and smooth Virginias are mated to superior Orientals and just enough top-notch Latakia to be interesting without being intrusive.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/p/mcclelland-avenue-blend-p-m-pipe-tobacco/1468357/

P.M. Pipe was created as a replacement for Dunhill Nightcap while it was unavailable in the US. Even though that revered blend has returned, P.M. Pipe has a unique richness that's all its own. This blend of Virginias, Orientals and Latakia that is deepened and spiced by the addition of tangy Perique is an ideal choice for an evening smoke.

Posted 8 months ago #
  5. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Might want to give GLP Chelsea Morning and Picadily a go.

Mike S.

Posted 8 months ago #
  6. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's your third favorite blender then?

Posted 8 months ago #
  7. mnewb1

mnewb1

Login to Send PM

I came across this as I was enjoying, a rare these days, bowl oh Frog Morton Celler

Posted 8 months ago #
  8. lifesizehobbit

lifesizehobbit

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While I cannot offer a recommendation, I had a bowl of Frog Morton tonight; actually first bowl since my dental implants. It was oh so good. I am rationing my McClelland blends.

Dave "Black Frigate Stowaway"
    Posted 8 months ago #
  9. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Im not sure he should say what his third favorite is... it is likely to go out of business!

Posted 8 months ago #
  10. cajomu

cajomu

Login to Send PM

@wyfbane

Good one.

Posted 8 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

I fall in the same shoes as OP, McClelland being my favorite producer and their closing caught me unawares. Luckliy I placed a larger order online a month prior to their announced closing just by coincidence and I was able to find a few favorites at local B&M shortly after they closed.

Anyway, for a mildly sweet, light Latakia blend that actually has good flavor and mouthfeel I'd recommend Royalty by Davidoff.

Posted 8 months ago #
  12. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have you tried John Cotton’s No. 1?

Posted 8 months ago #
  13. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha, I was going to suggest they try some of the John Cottons. You beat me too it.

Posted 8 months ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Come to the Pipe Show in Vegas next week. I will have a few tins of Frog's Cellar to sell.

There are several thousand other blends, some of which will please.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Grieving is a very individual process, and I can't tell you how to do it. However, as I keep saying (like a parrot on a perch) we live in a golden age of pipe blends and the offers are vast and various, so sample around in small quantities, and you will discover blends to your hearts content that will bliss you out. When you're ready to continue life without McCelland and Dunhill blends, step into the light and enjoy the plenty, while it lasts.

Posted 8 months ago #
  16. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Way to stay positive MSO, good advice once again.

For tho' at my simile many may joke,
    Man is but a pipe—and his life but smoke.
    Posted 8 months ago #
  17. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

I’ll give a third thumbs up for John Cotton’s #1. It’s incredibly balanced.

Posted 8 months ago #
  18. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cotton #1 is probably a great choice, and worth checking out anyway. Don't look for a facsimile, look for a new favorite. Grab some War Horse Bar while you are at it. Not because it is like Avenue A.M., but because then you can try more tobacco from this great house of tobacco.

Posted 8 months ago #
  19. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

SToP's blends, John Cotton and War Horse are examples of a great small company's attempt to reproduce some old favorites...better stock up 'cause they, too, may disappear.

Posted 8 months ago #
  20. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Possibly the Sutliff Krumble Cake Red Va is an alternative that just hit the stores if you look. Have not tried, but Jimlmks gives it 3.5 out of 4, so that's good enogh for moi.

Posted 8 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

gnarlybriar

Login to Send PM

re suggesting Davidoff Royality: I agree - and enjoy that blend quite often. btw - it is supposedly the same recipe as the blend Cromwell that Elephant & Castle had years ago (tho' it is no longer produced by McConnell Tobacco (England) - now produced in Denmark....as is almost everything else that had English origins.

Posted 8 months ago #
  22. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 6 tins of FMOTT and Frog Morton OG, can be yours for a measly price of $6000 US :rofl:

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 8 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   clickklick, lloydcole, smipe, shayde, brassmonkey, redglow