PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmtnsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2018
Hello,

I have a quick observation. About a month ago I saw Benjamin Hartwell Signature listed on an online retailer's website. So I ordered a tin to see if it still was the McClelland version. It was, so I ordered 10 more tins. This time I received 2 tins of the McClelland version in the typical McClelland tins and 8 of the new version solely made by Sutliff. No more old version to be had. These new tins resemble the Euro tins by the way. Anyway, the taste of the new Signature is basically the same as the old minus the McClelland vinegar. The cut is Euro Flake and I wonder if this is causing the slight taste difference? The tang is there and everything. To my taste this is the closest anyone has come to McClelland Virginia. I believe the two companies were in collaboration on the old stuff and I am wondering if McClelland gave Sutliff the leaf for this blend when they closed? If you fancied the old version go get some new.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I bought some Sutliff red from my local independent shop. I don't know the exact pedigree, but I'm giving it some time to age. Sutliff, which is often dissed as the cheap stuff, turns out to be the source for many premium blends. So stick with those tins. I think you'll be happy with the result. sable has wised us up to the wide unseen presence of Sutliff.

Status
Not open for further replies.