PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I know there has been some commentary on these blends in the past but I hope to reopen the discussion...
Does anyone have an opinion about the McClelland Grand Orientals line?
I have a 1.5 year old tin of Yenidje Supreme, but I am not going to open it any time soon; has anyone tried that yet?
As for the rest, I am trying to decide which to buy, and I would like to hear your personal thoughts about any of these individual tobaccos. If anyone is able to provide it, I'd be very grateful for a description of the whole series...
Personally, I don't know if I can identify any orientals (save for latakia) so I'm a bit cautious about which leaf I pick... I've pored over numerous reviews but sometimes that just fogs the brain and makes the decision harder...
Thanks, all.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I've only had the Classic Samsun, but damn! If the rest are this good... It's a very interesting smoke, not over-the-top in "body", but extremely flavorful. It has a nutty/salty flavor that I enjoy. I recommend it!
-Jason

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
I really like the ones I've tried: Yenidje Supreme and Yenice Agonya. Very smooth, mildly sweet & spicy with a nice nicotine punch. But I don't know what these tobaccos are supposed to taste like in their pure form and these two are very similar-I don't know if all I'm tasting is McClelland Virginia. The Supreme is slightly stronger. I want to try them all. They are my favorite over the Escudo and Va/Per blends at the moment. I can't tolerate Latakia blends anymore so I won't try any with that.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm leaning toward the Classic Samsun and another tin of the Yenidje Supreme - then I just may smoke the aged one... Drama is also on my radar but I am hesitant to buy too many of these because I don't know what oriental leaf tastes like yet in the absence of latakia.
I don't really want to purchase the whole lot, so I find it really hard to narrow them down.
A lot of the others seem really delicate, and reviewers use a lot of the same adjectives, so it is hard to decipher what those blends are like from words alone.
irishflake, Escudo is my favourite and I am intrigued to hear you say that. This stuff must be good. Was there a big flavour different between the YS & YA, or was it just that the YS was stronger/more intense yet very similar?

irishflake

Might Stick Around
Jun 30, 2012
Michigan
irishflake, Escudo is my favourite and I am intrigued to hear you say that. This stuff must be good. Was there a big flavour different between the YS & YA, or was it just that the YS was stronger/more intense yet very similar?
I guess I preferred the Yenidje Supreme- a bit spicier, little more nicotine bite-the taste difference to my deadened senses was not real striking between the two. I also enjoy the McClellands Beacon, a Va/Per blend and I gotta say it smoked similar to the Yenice Agonya and the Supreme, so I really think the dominant sweet flavors are coming from the McClelland base and the nice nutty spicy thing is from the Orientals. I am looking for some pure bits of these Turkish varieties so I know what they actually taste like! In the places where they grow the stuff that's what they smoke-the straight leaf.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
At first, that's what I thought these were - pure orientals from a specific variety. I was a little disappointed to discover that they were Virginia based about a year ago, but hopefully the oriental component is substantial.
That's what blending is all about I guess...
Thanks for your clarification irishflake. I am really considering whether or not I want to smoke that Yenidje Supreme right away.
I'm a bit tired of latakia myself; don't get me wrong, I love the taste at first but it becomes monochromatic to me after awhile. As soon as I get a few bowls into a tin, a predominantly ashy taste takes over...
I think these orientals will probably satisfy my craving for a more "exotic" taste and yet remove the smoky element that is so mixed for me.
(I rehydrated some GLP Westminster last night and enjoyed an incense-like bowl of an English for the first time in over a year; I wish that that flavour lasted for me...)

vegasblue

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2012
There are spots in these blends where there isn't any virginia and you are burning mostly orientals. if you hit one of those spots you really notice the different flavor of the leaf. I am currently finishing up a tin of classic samson, its really nutty, and very good.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Mary McNeil at McClelland's seems to have snared a large and unique array of Oriental varietals. Apparently, with the decrease in European cigarette smoking, some of the bulk pre-bought contracts with the huge cig-monoliths have expired and MMcN has latched onto the farmers/villages still producing varietals.
Since I love Balkans, and the specific individual Oriental leaf(s) are a major factor in balancing the Latakias and VAs, I'm working my way through the entire GO series to learn how each individual Oriental tastes. I have the impression that all of the GOs are the same bright VA blend, altered with the individual variety. They all are fairly light, and even subtle. I especially like them to start the day, and they can be all-dayers.
hp

les

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Jeez, I'd been staying away from the forum for the last while because it always inflames my TAD... and now I'm grabbing for my keys and planning to wait down at the tobacconist until it opens.
Thanks a lot. :roll:
Simon

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm the opposite, Simon - I came back to the forums to intentionally rev up the TAD...
Les, I am glad that McClelland had the foresight to seek out these varietals at the right time. It would be a sin if the old growers gave up cultivating oriental tobacco...
I plan to primarily purchase Virginias so these Grand Orientals are acceptable under my cellaring plans. I look forward to exploring this line.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I tried all the McClelland Grand Orientals when they first came out, except for the Yenidje Highlander (not a big Latakia fan) & found all I tried to be really good. After sampling these at my local B&M, I bought all of them to age.
I especially liked the Yenidje Supreme & Katarini Classic.
Each of these have different Orientals added that are quite unique & add a subtle twist to the enjoyment of the underlying base Virginias. If you're not sure you're recognizing the Orientals, smoke a bowlful of any of the Grand Orientals simultaneously with some McClelland 5100 & you'll appreciate the difference.

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.