Blend Type: Straight Virginia

Contents: Virginia

Flavoring: None

Cut: Flake

Strength: Mild to Medium

Flavoring: None Detected

Taste: Medium

Room Note: Pleasant
A very special Virginia Flake, created to celebrate the exceptional tobaccos of the United States of America. Red, Lemon and Orange Virginias, aged through summer sweats for over five years, then hard-pressed in cakes to age again, to mellow and marry and form this rich, bold tobacco long sought after by devoted flake smokers.
Notes: Originally introduced in December, 1993 for the Greater Kansas City Pipe Club, is now part of the Club Blends Series.
The tin note to this tobacco was nice their was the typical ketchup smell like many McClellan blends, but I do like the smell. the flake were nice and not to moist but not over dried. This blend was a pain in the butt to light, even though it was windy out today, it was just not staying light no matter what I did and I had to relight 3 times. Once I did get it lit this blend, was amazing. The room note was great and a little sweet smelling. their was a little bit of a tong bite, but if you smoke it slow enough it would not bite you. their was a great vinegary sweet yet tangy taste to this tobacco, that stayed even throughout the entire smoke. Over all I would give this blend a 4 out of 5 stars. and will put this blend into my rotation.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
McClelland has so many blends that it's hard to keep up with them, Boston 1776 one of them. Great care brought to the production of this flake, and it's sold with 5 years of age. That's a buy!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I tried this tobacco awhile back and had a similar experience with the lighting. Couldn't get it lit for nothing and that was a rubbed out flake. And not being able to maintain a good consistent light found the flavor profile bland. I also thought it was too dry straight out of the tin, but perhaps I will give it another try. It has been jarred for 6 months or so. I will write my second opinion after I've tried it again.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
If you like 1776 than you should give their CPCC Rich Virginia Ribbon a try. Good stuff. McC has very good Virginia's. If the ketchup smell is bothorsome crack the tin and leave it ajar for a few hours, close and revisit in a week. It dissipates some.

A couple of months ago, I bought one of every Virginia VaPer blends tinned by McClelland. This one is waiting to get popped next. My goal was to fully explore this genre. I actually crave that McClelland fermented smell of a fresh popped tin, and it makes me salivate as soon as I whiff it. However, so far I have found that the differences in these blends are very very subtle, even more subtle than the taste of Virginia by itself.
Thanks for posting this, and I look forward to popping my tin also.
So far my two favorites are the Blakeney's processed flakes and Pebblecut. Pebblecut offers such a variety of flavors throughout the bowl and a medium (but substantial) nic fix, that I went ahead and bought twenty tins to keep back for aging. If you haven't tried it, I think that you will be awed.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I know of no other blend on the market that is aged 5 years before being released. From what I know, if a flake is aged, or "kept in the presses," it is two weeks. Few blenders can afford/are willing to find a way to afford, putting in that much time. It's tying up capital.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I've read plenty of reviews of this blend and I'm a bit baffled.
The original 1776 Boston blend that this is supposedly a reproduction said right on the tin that it contained 3% of some oriental leaf, which as I recall was Drama. This McClelland revival is listed as a straight Virginia, yet almost every review of it seems to hint at a spiciness or tanginess that pretty clearly isn't perique.
In short, I'm convinced that this blend is not 100% Virginia as it's always listed, and that there is 3% Drama in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.