PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Since this is somewhat of a benchmark tobacco blend, I decided to try it out. Got a 100g tin from 4noggins.com in my last order at the beginning of March 2012. Finally opened it this morning and …..

….it was awesome enough to get a positive first-bowl reaction!
I opened the metal lid and was greeted by a light smell of Latakia. Thankfully there was none of the typical McClelland “ketchup” aroma which I despise. There are small yellow and black ribbons, along with some large black chunks. Perfect moisture right out of the tin for an English in my book. Loaded up a Comoy's Everyman Bulldog, got a cup of fresh black coffee and went to work on it.
004-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

With a dual flame torch lighter, it took fire very nicely. I was greeted by a creamy smoke with a grass and Latakia-laden aroma. Not pungent, but very sublime. As I progressed through the bowl, I got a lot of sweetness from the smoke, which is a first to me for an English blend. It continued to stay smokey and sweet. Around the halfway point an odd aroma of watermelon rind made its way in and the smoke became a bit spicier. The Latakia took over toward the end of the bowl and stayed there until everything turned to ashes. Speaking of, there wasn't a lot of those left behind. I smoked it a bit fast so they weren't exactly fine powder.
I must say again it was a creamy cool smoke, with lots of flavors that seem to permeate even if smoked too fast. I did a tongue torture test and this blend WILL of course bite if puffed like there is no tomorrow, but the margin is pretty wide. No nicotine kick to speak of. If I was in an English mood , it makes for a perfect smoke for that day. Definitely a breakfast staple for me now. If I were to abandon my beloved VA Flakes, Frog Morton will be at the top of the replacement list.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Yes! Now you are "required" to try the other versions. My experience has been that all the Frogs turn even more gentle on the tongue - and flavorful - as they dry out. Great review!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Yes, but I strongly recommend you not use a torch lighter. It can easily scorch your pipe and will incinerate tobacco rather than properly lighting it.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
you not use a torch lighter
I usually don't. It was a bit windy for matches today.
try the other versions
Yes, by the end of the year. I smoke something in the realm of 1 - 1.5 oz a week so it will be a while until I go through this 100g. Usually a 50g tin lasts at least a week and a half, unless it's Irish Flake ..... that stuff is awesome but it gets excellent mileage. I still have a half a tin after smoking 1 flake a day, half flake at a time, religiously :puffy:

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
Nice review, I really like froggy its a staple morning blend just like oatmeal or orange juice.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great review! FM is a very good smoke, and your description sounds accurate to me. I just found it a bit too mild for my taste in English/Balkan blends though. But for anyone looking for a mild English, I'd highly recommend it.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Good review. I like it quite a bit as well, but Across the Pond will always be my favorite Frog.

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Frog Morton was my introduction to English blends. I thought it was spectacular then. Although now I perfer more robust blends, I still enjoy it on occasion.

corvinvelegost

Might Stick Around
May 1, 2012
I planned on using Frog Morton as my intro to English Blends and from this review i think its a good decision. Cant wait to get some now.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
On the Bayou, Across the Pond and On the Town, all great smokes. Well balanced and relatively mild flavored.
for those who have shied away from English blends, On the Town and Across the Pong would be a good introduction.

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I have smoked regular and on the town. Both are very good! this was also my intro to English blends.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
Planning to age my only FM on bayou tin for another 6 months before trying it!

Do you recommend ageing or just ready out of new tin?

MY intro to English replaced by Davidoff Royalty which I like :puffpipe:

ahpui

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2012
Just had mine too. Maybe will keep for for a few months before trying it.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
Thankfully there was none of the typical McClelland “ketchup” aroma which I despise.
I mentioned that same characteristic on another pipe forum and was vilified as a McClelland basher, a troublemaker, and potential terrorist threat to the honest pipe smoking community. I was then given a lecture (re-education camp)from those who take no notice of that particular condiment aroma as to how the process by which the tobacco "might" pick up such an aroma. Anyone who agreed with me was told to shut up and stop beating dead horse.
I am happy to hear that Frog Morton has escaped that particular condiment process! I just might give it try.
Damn straight it smells like ketchup!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.