Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
I find everything I have from this outfit to be first rate....

I have not however sampled any of their aromatics and find the way they label, flavor, and describe them to be a bit off putting......if not silly.

As thus they are not attractive.

Possibly I am a bit of a purist.

I like to see something that makes sense on a label and get a feel for flavoring that is not cocked up on high artifice.

EG Rum, Vanilla,Cherry...etc.

Nougat......no way. You've got to be kidding.....

Bloody hell

Now if I were blind tasted, I might full well like the smoke.

Its entirely possible.

I'll pass on the naming convention and the suspect flavors.

It just comes off as weird.
Until later
SC

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Welcome to the forums... There definitely are some weird flavors out there. Some people swear by them and others can't taste them, but they were made for one reason or another and sometimes the flavor just sort of happens with the blend and has nothing to do with additives. No matter how you look at it though it's definitely a lot of experimentation to find the blends you like. Happy smoking!

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nougat
How exactly would one impart that into smoking tobacco I wonder

Even in the kitchen its obscure

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'm a big McClelland fan, though I do admit some of there descriptions are, shall we say, colorful. I guess companies have to come up with new descriptions to sell their products. If everybody had the same descriptions, nobody would ever try anything new!

Oh, by the way, the only McClelland I've had that I really didn't care for was 221b Honeydew Flake, though I will say that it was a high quality tobacco, just not my thing.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
Yaddy, hmm let see

Ahh ok...." Pure essential extract of sugared eggwhites and pistachio....."

What I'm driving at is it comes off that we may be dealing with some kind of " artifice " rather than natural flavoring......which is definitely NOT ok.

So the vagueness and attempt at something possibly " over the top " is bothersome.

This is the sticking point with me and I admit I may be ignorant of the finer points in such matters. Especially the need to keep things way veiled and complicated-weird.

As an example I have an un-named tin in my hand right now which on the back says " burley, cavendish and ' geniune ' vanilla....."

REAL Flavors, nothing artificial in other words.

So one more time on this particular series I say, they have got to be kidding!

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Nougat is actually not an uncommon flavor in aromatics. I've seem several blends with it.
Besides, it's blasphemy to speak a bad word against the McC. Just blasphemy I tell you.
:)

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
Sam, typically I don't go for aromatics, but I am back to them for some odd reason.

The first is marked with natural flavoring which is a " good mark."

Thanks for the leads I will make note.
SC

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I've smoked many of McClelland's aromatics and have found them to be top-notch. As for the additives…..I have no idea as to whether or not they are "natural" or not, and unsure as to how one would even define "natural" in this context LOL. In fact, I think McClelland's aromatics might be the most consistently high-quality ones on the market (and I am not, as a rule, an aromatic fan). In fact, I tend to find that most of McClelland's products are excellent and have sampled only a few that I didn't think were delicious. But I also rarely smoke their products. Why? Because they are WAY too mild. I sometimes wonder if they haven't come up with a way to completely remove all traces of nicotine from their tobaccos, which means they are only an occasional pleasure for me.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I think you're looking at it too deeply. Don't look at the actual ingredients of how nougat is made but the general taste. Sort of a sweet nutty taste. That sounds dynamite to me. I don't give a crap if the real nougat is made with eggs or with whatever it is made of.
I have no complaints of McC's tobaccos I love them. My only complaint is that they don't offer them in larger quantities. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
bill, I am the same way with Mac virginia's. They all seem to have a high content of red virginia's and it is like acid on my tongue. I once aged a pound of 5100 hoping the age would smooth it out and after 10 years it was still brutal. I ended up trading it away even though I loved the flavors.
I find their descriptions to be normal for a company that is trying to promote their product. Most companies spend a lot of time coming up with their descriptions, so when they are a bit flowery or over the top, I just take it for what it is worth, just advertising.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Starcat:
I'm almost entirely a non-aromatic smoker, but my one "guilty pleasure" is Stokkebye's Nougat (AKA Tinder Box's "North Sea" and thousands of other names in shops across the country). Does it taste like nougat? Not at all.
I think you're under a misapprehension about aromatic tobaccos. They are made to smell like their name or to smell like recognizable or familiar aromas. They are not necessarily intended to taste like them. What's more: They are meant to smell that way to the nonsmokers around us. For some scientific reason I never investigated, tobacco smells quite different to the smoker than it does to passersby. So, while a particular aromatic may be quite appealing to you, you should not expect that your experience of it will be the same as the experience of those around you when you're smoking. What you smell will not be the same thing they smell. Both aromas may be wonderful, but they won't be identical. And what you smell will likely have very little in common with what you can actually taste. I've never yet heard of an aromatic that delivered in flavor to the same degree that it delivered in aroma.
One more thing: Don't for a second assume that "natural" vanilla means that any actual beans were ever used in the production. You might be very surprised about what can legally constitute a "natural" flavor (at least in the U.S.). It may be entirely fabricated in a flavor lab, using a variety of ingredients/chemicals that were derived from organic ingredients.
Bob

bill708

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
cigmaster--the only fix to the pure red Virginias is to mix in some latakia or perique, if those tobcs can be bought separately!! I think that is too much trouble.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks, Cigrmaster! I tend to go in spurts when it comes to forums (fora?) like this. And, unfortunately, I've found that I buy a lot more tobacco when I'm active here -- :) -- and our bank account needs an extended break! But I do enjoy checking in from time to time.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.