PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
A soothing, relaxing mild aromatic, Deep Hollow consists of rich, Red and Black stoved Virginias lightly top-flavored with hints of apple and vanilla. Relative to most aromatics it smokes cool and clean with little moisture or bite.
Blend Type: Aromatic

Contents: Virginia

Flavoring: None

Cut: Ready Rubbed

Strength: Mild

Flavoring: Mild

Taste: Mild to Medium

Room Note: Pleasant

Notes: The name Deep Hollow comes from the works of JRR Tolkien. Deephallow (Deep Hollow): A village on the Shire's eastern border, built on the banks of the River Brandywine. Immediately across the river was Haysend, the southernmost point of Buckland, while just to the south of Deephallow, the River Shirebourn flowed into the Brandywine.
I opened the tin and the tin note was sweet, and the tobacco was moist. I picked out a little and let it dry out a little, then packed it into my pipe and lit it, the tobacco lit well and stayed lit ( only went out once close to the the bottom of the bowl. While I was smoking this blend I was not happy with the lack of flavor, but the room note was amazing. I might not smoke this tobacco very often, but will smoke it around people, because the room note was a real people pleaser.

Good review. I set this one aside too. I just felt like there was no nicotine satisfaction, nor flavor. It was like a waste of time, just burning stuff to be burning it.

I did try drying it completely out to rid it of that vanilla casing (of which you can't taste), but it still doesn't gain any flavor. It's almost too in the middle of aromatic and a Virginia, but not enough of either to be satisfying. I can't even see breaking it out for company. I'd much rather smoke MacBarons Vanilla Flake for the best taste and room note.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
I will be trying to mix it to get the aroma of the deep hollow and the taste of the other tobacco I mix it with. I will let you know what I figure out.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I for one enjoyed this blend. It has a nice, subtle flavor to it (I know you said there was none, but I found a light taste to it) and it wasn't just soaked in a casing flavor. I would order it again, and yes, it does have a pleasing note sure not to offend those who don't mind the smell of some smoke. I burned a bowl down while watching potable at my friend's house and they liked it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like an aromatic now and then, but I like some tobacco flavor even if it doesn't come with a nicotine buzz.

Lanes LL-7 and Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge (Va/bur/Cav/rum) have a pleasant room note and still deliver

some tobacco flavor. However, it is most gracious of you to consider your friends in choosing a good room note.

Thanks for the good review.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
cmdrmcbragg evreyone is different, and will like different tobaccos. If you like that tobacco cool, but I didn't say it had no flavor. I said "I was not happy with the lack of flavor."

Status
Not open for further replies.