PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
On the advice of one of the guys at a local B&M, I picked up a tin of Deep Hollow as a "why not" purchase. The tin label was yellowed and pretty beat up, so I figured it already had some decent age on it. I knew it was a "light aromatic," and I can't argue with that description.
The best way I can describe is that it's like McClelland 5100 with a very light flavoring. To my palate, it had about 1/4 or 1/3 as much top dressing as a standard aromatic. In other words, pretty light but always there. The taste of the great Virginias was always there, with a complementary sweetness. The flavor was so understated that I'm not sure I can pin it down except to say there is definitely some vanilla, and maybe some apple and caramel. Maybe even a hint of cinnamon.
Whatever it was, it was applied with a light hand and doesn't overpower the blend. I think it's an excellent crossover aromatic for anyone going away from or towards more traditional aromatics. Or for someone like me, who likes an aromatic as a change of pace as long as it's not too overwhelming in top dressing.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I really liked Deep Hollow too. It was light and had a nice tin note and I finished a four ounce tin pretty quickly. 8)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Check the dating on the bottom of the tin if you want to know it's age. Glad to hear you found a winner.

I popped a tin of this in April, after reading a few reviews. But, even though it said it was a light aro, in line with PS LTF, I had to disagree. My experience was that it was way more overwhelming than LTF. So it sat until October with the top half cocked in my cellar. One morning, while looking for something "different" I gave it a whirl again, noticing that they lid was half on, half off. It was way more wonderful having dried a bit. The Red Virginias really came forward and that casing took a backseat, more like what I expect in PS LTF.

I've finished the tin, finally. It was good. But, in all honesty, with as many great tobaccos out there that I've yet to try, I have no interest in revisiting this one. Ok stuff, but ...it underwhelmed me.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
The B&M sticker was placed right over the McClelland's date marker and I didn't bother to remove it.
Cosmicfolklore, it never fails to crack me up how differently people experience the same tobaccos. I would have said LTF is much more cased than Deep Hollow. Of course, what you or I otherwise smoke, the age of the tobacco, it's dryness, etc., all play a part in those comparisons. Sometimes I think that once someone gets a decent idea for him/herself what certain types of tobacco taste like to them, reviews become less and less meaningful (a ringing endorsement for my own minireview, I know). I agree that Deep Hollow is far from a world beater. A good, solid enjoyable blend that I was pleased to discover I liked after buying it on a lark.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
krizzose, I agree with your assessment. I love aros but when I want to dial it back a bit Deep Hollow is is a good way to do it.

Mar 1, 2014
Grr, cursed jobs and lack of time to smoke.
I've had a tin of this in the cupboard for about three months now.

I found 5100 completely unspectacular, but I've got a sweet tooth out of a hippopotamus.

Hopefully my tin is still fresh enough to give a top flavour as Cosmic describes.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I have a tin of this from 2007 that I haven't opened up. Ill have to pop the tin in 2017 and see how it is after 10 years.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I am not a aromatic fan, but I like Deep Hollow, because it is sweet, but it is not to over coated. I don't smoke it often but I do enjoy it when I do smoke it.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I just got another tin of this in an order yesterday. I enjoy it because the VAs are apparent and the casing is light enough. To me it tastes more like apple, BTW. I see it as a crossover blend, one that is not going to blow most any pipe smoker away, but could easily find a cozy spot as a regular smoke.

tppytel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2014
I'm with the rest of you - good stuff, though not all the time. I'm generally a VA smoker, and Deep Hollow is as aromatic as I care to get. I especially like it on a lazy weekend morning with a cup of coffee. I lean toward the flavoring being apple as well, maybe with a hint of cinnamon and/or vanilla. Whatever it is, it's light enough that I can't specifically pick it out, which is perfect. Highly recommended to all but the Latakia fiends among us.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Oh snap! I finally pulled the retailer's sticker off the McClelland's date stamp. It was tinned in 2000! I'm hoping fresh tins are at least somewhat close in taste. I may have inadvertently spoiled myself

Mar 1, 2014
I just had another bowl of this and I have to say it's a decent aromatic. Hopefully this bodes well for the sample of Fragrant Matured Cake that's in the mail (reviews say it's not a normal McClelland VA either).

Status
Not open for further replies.