Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

McClelland Dark Star

(17 posts)
  1. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, this morning I sat with McClelleand Dark Star for about an hour for the first time. Used a Morta pipe and the fold and stuff method. I have to say I couldn't quite catch the same experience and coax out the flavors that other people have found with this blend. Upon first light it was spicy and robust - I liked that and didn't expect it. What was frustrating was the pipe went out very easily over and over. After many relights I could catch a flavor here and there. A little bit of the ketchup - I thought I caught a little bit of honey at one point. aaaaand that was about it. Either my palate is just not as refined as I thought or this blend just really takes more time.

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dark Star is probably my all time favorite tobacco. If you are going to fold and stuff you will need to rub out half a flake and gravity feed it into the bowl. On top of the flakes.

And I mean REALLY rub it out.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll try that on the next bowl. Thanks man.

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm keeping a tin of that and plan to open it by-and-by, since this is one of the blends that is supposed to reward some age. I definitely plan to rub it out -- easy because that is what I prefer to do. I understand the cut is pretty uneven, so it seems to benefit from being broken up for better evenness. If you get it right, I hear it is one of the primo Virginia experiences, but you have to work at it, it seems.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have you dried it or did you just crack the tin? You have to really let it dry first

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dark Star is always hit or miss with me. When its "On" its out of this world, when its "off", its just Meh..... I can't get this one to smoke consistently either, but its worth trying for. I almost always rub this one out too. If I recall, and my memory is not great, but I think this is one that Pipestud pulses in a coffee grinder for a few seconds..... I think there's a few threads here somewhere about it.......

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It wasn't fresh out of the tin, it had been drying for a bit but it looks like not long enough. It was pretty flame resistant. I've been going through a few of the old threads - looks like putting it in the microwave and then grinding it up pretty heavily helps..

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry posted in the wrong thread.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. jefff

jefff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd skip the microwave and it WILL rub out into a ribbon like texture.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. bcharles123

bcharles123

Login to Send PM

I have had my best luck cutting it into "cubes". Hard to really call them cubes because the flakes are broken to begin with. In any case I like several hours of drying for it. Then it burns really well, better than most. It looks like smoldering coals in a furnace. Sweet if you go slow.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like Beefeater33, I have mixed success with Dark Star. May have to try cube cutting it next time. I have several 50 gr. tins from 1999 but I always seem to pass them over in favor of a more sure bet.

Mike S.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What I do: microwave for 8 seconds on a medium setting, gently dab a paper towel on both sides for a second (which will absorb a surprising amount of moisture) and then let it cool on a wire cooling rack. After a few minutes of air time it should be ready to burn. This is the procedure I now use for everything that would otherwise need a full day of air time to dry (s.gawith).

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. jacks6

jacks6

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just want to thank you all of this forum. After going through the threads and the advice given here - I had it really going today! I left it out to dry overnight and then rubbed it out very finely before smoking. Only a few relights at the beginning but I had a very enjoyable smoke going. I really appreciate all the advice. That really is one fussy tobacco but well worth it!

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dark Star definitely takes some time to understand but one you get it, it's pure gold! I dry mine out for at least an hour before I smoke it. Are you new to the pipe? I certainly wouldn't recommend it for beginners. I used to hate hearing a blend wasn't for beginners when I was a novice, I thought that was just smug, arrogant advice but now I totally understand it as I didn't understand a whole lot of blends when I was a rookie so I wrote them off as over hyped blends. Once I revisited a lot of those blends I had written off with a more experienced pallet I fell in love with most all of them one of those being Dark Star. Put it aside for a later date and re-examine it under a different light, ya might just fall in love. : )

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This thread made me order 700 grams of Dark Star...IT'S NOT MY FAULT! My name is Stan, and I'm a tobaccoholic.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stan, you need someone to safeguard your CC. It will be a tough job but I'm willing to standfast on your account.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 for the grinder. Rub it out? Ha ha, I can't get it to rub, but cube cutting is second best method for me. But, in a grinder it really opens up that flavor for me.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tfdickson, danimalia, aldecaker, jravenwood, jpmcwjr, hoppes, vangoghpipe