Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

McClelland Christmas Cheer Alternative?

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

franklyn22

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and just getting back into pipe smoking after a several year hiatus.

I really love the McClelland Christmas Cheer type Virginia flake tobaccos however, I never seem to catch it before its sold out everywhere.

Does anyone know if one of their other regular tinned blends would be fairly similar? Say for example, No. 22?

Thank you,
    Frank

Title Corrected Rule #9 Thanks, Zack

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm aging two McClellands tins, one of them Christmas Cheer 2015, so I can't match tastes, but any or many of McClelland Virginias would be a good bet. I'd go for something that looks good in itself rather than trying to match up with the Cheer. Just my notion.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Christmas Cheer is different every year, so finding something comparable isn't really a possibility. I agree that if you like Christmas Cheer you might explore the many other Virginia offerings from McClelland. I've never met one of them I didn't like.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Sadly, Christmas Cheer will no longer be produced due to the FDA insanity. Their Red Cake is really good though.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

franklyn22

Login to Send PM

Hello and thanks for the replies. I missed the whole FDA thing - what is the deal and why can't they make a Christmas Cheer anymore? Very sad news to me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I missed the whole FDA thing - what is the deal and why can't they make a Christmas Cheer anymore?

Well, the FDA is in scramble mode to figure out what they will really do, as they have been backtracking recently on cigars and such, so who knows. But, the reason a bulk is impossible is that it is different every year. Which year's CC did you want something similar to?

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a very loaded question. Look through forum posts, the FDA put deeming regulations in. However, yes, try all of the McClelland Virginia flakes. You can't go wrong. You'll want to sample every single one of them, and then buy a few tins for the cellar of each.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Go buy Mccranie's red flake. I think that's as close as you can get.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Go buy Mccranie's red flake. I think that's as close as you can get.

Yep.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

McC 2015 or McC #27...both good and similar to xmas cheer

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

#22 definitely bears some similarity to Christmas Cheer and is a good VA in it's own right. It's sweet and tangy fresh from the tin (no additional aging needed), but it's not quite as complex as CC.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

chasing', I wish you hadn't reminded me about the unlikelihood of future Christmas Cheer! I find it difficult enough to pop a new tin already, and now I don't know if I'll ever get this one open. That's a sad thought ... no future Christmas Cheer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

franklyn22

Login to Send PM

It wasn't a specific year of Christmas Cheer I was trying to match but rather the style (flake Virginia) with similar flavor. I think I'll give the McCranies red flake a try next. Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

chasing', I wish you hadn't reminded me about the unlikelihood of future Christmas Cheer!

After losing Mephisto years ago, I learned the benefits of tobacco hoarding the hard way. If you like it, buy a lot of it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. skaukatt

skaukatt

Login to Send PM

Try their 40th Anniversary blend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. ruscho

ruscho

Login to Send PM

It wasn't a specific year of Christmas Cheer I was trying to match but rather the style (flake Virginia) with similar flavor. I think I'll give the McCranies red flake a try next. Thanks!

Then any of their Matured Virginias would fit the bill, #24 and #27 are my favorites.

The great (?) thing about them is that they either don't sell very well or McC makes a lot of them. When I was building my Mature Va stash, even the ones I got online came with 2-3 years on them already. At local shops I've founds some with nearly 10 years of aging - I gladly pay the 50% surcharge of local B&Ms to add these kind of gems to my cellar

Something you may explore in the future is making your custom mixture with their Matured Va and their Grand Orientals varieties. Both of these marry amazingly!

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"McC 2015 or McC #27...both good and similar to xmas cheer"

I can't speak for McClelland's #27 as it is one of the few straight Virginias from them I haven't tried but #2015 is a VaPer (and a damned good one too) and tastes nothing like the Christmas Cheer (2016 & 2017) that I have smoked.

As said above, I would work my way through all of their straight Virginia blends until you find the one that really speaks to you.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. callsignawesome

callsignawesome

Login to Send PM

I worried about having to ask this question myself with the FDA regulations possibly becoming a permanent fixture. I have 5 tins of CC left, 2 of 16 and 3 of 17. I doubt I'll open them for some time. I told myself last year that I'd enjoy a tin of 2016 and then hide the rest. So far I've managed to stay away from it. Maybe we'll get lucky McClelland will have a stash of the 17 to release again but I doubt it.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington to the Continental Congress, 1776
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well as soon as more McCranies flake comes out you should buy some. I can't tell the difference between it and christmas cheer.

Also the McCranies ribbon is like McClelland's 5100. I'm still working on a 1983 tin of McCranies ribbon. It's smooth as silk.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Christmas Cheer vintages feature different Virginias from year to year. I prefer those featuring Virginias other than red Virginias. For me, I have McClelland 22 and, especially 27 put away for a rainy day.

Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. callsignawesome

callsignawesome

Login to Send PM

I just found a tin of CC 2015 and 2 tins of CC 2016 at a B&M today. So there is still some out there to be had.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. glassjapan

glassjapan

Login to Send PM

Another vote for McCranie's Red Flake. It's in the same wheelhouse...a single crop red Virginia, which is what most Christmas Cheers were. Hopefully we'll see more in stock soon at McCranie's.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh I forgot to mention. That it's Mcclelland's that makes McCranies red flake for them.

I cracked open today a tin of 1996 McCranie's red flake and smells and looks exactly like christmas cheer.

Glass I hope they have more to sell soon.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sumusfumus, buzkirk, odobenus, disinformatique, headhunter, donjgiles, ormazd, justanotherdude