PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I just cracked my "smoke now" tin of Xmas Cheer 2014. The tin note had a deep cinnamon spice aroma to it that was really unique. I've only had one bowl, and I am now very annoyed with myself for only getting 2 tins for the cellar. Very few high grassy flavors, much more like baked goods. The cinnamon spiciness comes through in the smoke. It's like pumpkin bread with just a hint of citrus tang on the finish. Absolutely zero bite, and it smoked cool throughout. Absolutely delicious. I can't wait to try it in a few years. FWIW, I folded and stuffed it.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I believe 2014 was a red va, I have 2 tins, I still haven't popped my 2013 yet though.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
As a big fan of Red Virginias, i am very much on the look out for a tin of the 2014. I just opened a 13 and I like it a lot.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I just had some of my 2015 this afternoon. When I first opened the tin and had my first smoke my reaction was "nice - but fairly monotone." Since then it is one of my favorite Virginias. Thankfully, I bought 5 tins. The one I'm smoking now, and 4 to save for a number of years. I think I'll follow that plan each year.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm going to age my 2015 for another ten months, at least, and then decide if I want to let it go longer. I have a tin of Dark Star that's gone longer, so that might go first. Not to mention Riverboat Gambler, etc.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I was under the impression that Christmas Cheer was the same for all years, that it was simply a limited annual. So, a 2006 was the same blend as a 2015, just aged. Have I been wrong?

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
From McClelland:
With Christmas Cheer, we treat our discriminating customers to the singular pleasure of a tasting of the very finest in tobaccos of a particular vintage, not worrying about maintaining the flavor and appearance of future generations of this product but actually striving instead to capture the unique character of a single crop and area.

Yep, each year the tobacco is different, subtly different, but different nonetheless. This will also give you an understanding of why blenders will case their non-aromatic blends, to give their product consistency from year to year.
2014 was good stuff. I wish that I had more than just one more tin of it left also.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I'm starting to panic a little bit because I'm now head over heels for this stuff and I know my open tin won't last too long. I'm committed to putting some age on my 2 remaining sealed tin, but even that's getting me anxious cause I only have 2. Does McClelland (or anyone else) have an all red va flake? Would Dark Star or Blackwoods Flake come anywhere close in flavor profile? I'm gonna be bummed if the 2016 Xmas Cheer isn't a red va flake. If it is, I'm taking out a HELOC for a massive purchase.
EDIT: LOL, had to edit quickly cause for some reason I thought I had only 1 sealed tin. I have 2, but still....

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Does McClelland (or anyone else) have an all red va flake?
Yes ... McCranies Red Flake (and it is the SHI%%):
p9130010.jpg

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I started buying 3 tins every year starting in 2012. I really don't care for the stuff but my plan is to try it again when I retire (6 years from now). Maybe aging for 6-10 years will improve the flavor.

skaukatt

Can't Leave
Here's about the best red VA in bulk, delicious!
McClelland: 5100 - Red Cake: This is a style of English Virginia that has seldom been seen in America. McClelland's Red Cake is a sweet, exceptionally soft, fully rubbed-out Matured Cake. 5100 is a wonderful blending tobacco as well as a fine, medium-bodied straight smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.