PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I'm just curious, I've never baked a tin of tobacco before, and I'm about to pull the trigger on a tin of Christmas Cheer 2013. I've been intrigued by tales of baking tins here on the forums and thought, if I'm going to do it, why not try a tin of Christmas Cheer while I'm at it. Any thoughts? Is it a good idea or a terrible idea? And should I bake it at 180 degrees for 180 minutes as I've heard? Or should I leave it alone and smoke it as is out of the tin?

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Personally, I would suggest trying it with something besides Christmas Cheer. The purpose of baking tobacco is to artificially age it. Since CC is already aged for several years before it's ever tinned, baking it would be redundant and would probably not improve it much at all.
I'd suggest trying it with a less mature VA, maybe a newly minted LBF or something like that.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I don't think it will adversely effect the flake. Fred Hanna, who brought this process to light I believe recommends 220 for 220. In a 220 degree (f) oven for 220 minutes. Let the tobacco rest for a week or so according to Greg Pease. The lid may pop it's seal so be aware of that.
Best of luck with it, I think you'll be fine with it.
Mike S.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
If I were going to bake a tobacco to see if I liked it, I'd do it with something relatively simple, and have a baseline available. Without the baseline, unbaked tobacco, there is no comparison.
I'll be trying this with 5100 soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.