PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
You should expect some of the best naturally sweet Va you've ever smoked. The 2008 was my first venture into Christmas Cheer and it's been my favorite so far out of the 2011 and 2012 and 2008 I've tried. I'm sure the 5 years of age did it perhaps, but reading up on tobacco reviews alot of people say the 2008 was one of the better years. Once you pop a tin though let it sit with the plastic lid on for a good 2 weeks before trying it, you really have to let it breathe. I'd just do one at a time, that's some super high quality pipe tobacco. Personally it's more of a summertime smoke for me as I like Va's the most when it's hot out. I guess being in India you don't celebrate Christmas so you have no excuse to wait.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Don't take it the wrong way I'm well aware you don't celebrate Christmas however I don't celebrate Diwali but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy the fireworks and festivities, nor do I treat or trick but I still enjoy the candy. My point is something's just feel right and in place when enjoyed on the times they are meant to be. For example I'm saving some devils holiday for Halloween and bill baileys birthday blend for my birthday. But that could just be me and my OCD lol ofcourse you can smoke it when you want. lol just let me know how you like it cause I have yet to try it myself.

dirtydex

Might Stick Around
May 14, 2011
Christmas Cheer is always a very different, very excellent blend. As andrew said, just open one at a time and let it breathe a little. I'm currently working my way through a tin of 2002 this summer, and I am really enjoying it.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Dex sent me a pinch of that 2002 and it was gone pretty quick. Big fan of the McClelland reds like this and McCranie's Red Flake.
I would say on this site there is too much inclination to sit on something forever. Among blends with aging potential, I'd say that 90% of them are 90% as good as they'll ever be after five years. Sitting another year or two might make an incremental improvement, but the further you get in the aging process, the longer it takes for meaningful changes. The tobacco doesn't care if it's smoked at a round number like 10 years.
Do yourself a favor, like tonight: live a little and burn a bowl of some very good aged tobacco.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
The 2006 is supposedly the best year

So far I have had the '97, '99, and the '06. They are all very different animals, so I would have a hard time saying one year is "the best". To the OP I would say start with the '06 and let the others age another year or two.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you guys like Christmas Cheer give McClellend's Old world cake a try, it says there's a topping on it but I think that may just be the vinegar they use to preserve it. I swear it's probably the Va's that don't make the cut to get into the Christmas Cheer. Upon first puff it was like wow, this is Christmas cheer in bulk if I didn't know better.

LOL guys just for clarification. I do celebrate Christmas, I am a Christian of Anglo-Indian heritage ;) yup I am half british and half Indian. Even non-Christians enjoy the festive season more these days. I'll post pictures of my Church which was made in 1857 when I go back to my home city in December. My home city alone has 3 major Churches which are historically relevant. St. Paul's Church (where I go), Christ Church Cathedral and the RC Church located in St. Francis Convent School (where I studied).
I have a very colorful family as far as religion goes.
My father's side are all Christians.

My mother's side are all Sikhs.

I have relatives who are Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists heck even Zoroastrians.
On the other hand, Halloween or St. Patrick's Day are not celebrated here, maybe because they have more local roots specific to the geographical area.
Please keep sharing your views on the Christmas Cheer ;)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
church.JPG

St+Paul%2527s+Church+Ambala+Haryana+-+c1868.jpg

http://www.airforceschoolambala.com/church.php
Is it this one Chris?

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
So far I have had the '97, '99, and the '06. They are all very different animals,

Good point trout-- I've had the 97, 02, 04, and 09. All of them are different. I think thats the point with these.... like vintage wines, same grape, different flavors. I would say open them and jar them, let them "air" for a few, and smoke em. If there is one that really tickles your fancy, seek it out and cellar the hell out of it, it will only get better! :lol:

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Ive tried the 2002 and 2013... I have some 2005 that ive been told is much nicer than the 02. I am curious about my 1997 though....

@andrew - It will be another 6-8 weeks till I get holdof them, my fiancee has claimed one, I am putting one in the cellar and opening one. Added Old World Classic to my shopping list as well.
@smokeybear (Andrew) - Awesome idea about saving tobaccos for special occassions ;)
@dirtydex - I am gonna do that, I am currently in a city where its very pleasant and not humid or hot.
@escioe I am going to open one tin the 2007 one and see how it goes.
@shaintiques - I am saving the 2006 for later in the US residence for a few more years. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.
@trailboss - switching to pipes have made me patient ;) hope the tobacco sings to me ;)
@beefeater - It's a good thing they make every year different, theres something new to the same blend every year. Keeps the things fresh ;)
@skapunk - Open it up and taste it then if you like it either jar it or finish it :D Life is short, smoke all the tobacco you can.
Cheers, :puffpipe:

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.