PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
If anyone is on the fence to try a Virginia tobacco this is some great baccy.

I ordered some last month and been smoking it every morning on the way to work.

Ordered 8 more ounces friday from pipe and cigar.

This is the description on the add.And it is dead on.

A sweet, exceptionally soft, fully-rubbed Matured Cake, this is a fine, medium-bodied smoke. Extremely high-grade and refined.

patiobum

Nov 5, 2009
Baytown,Texas
If you have the will power, age it for a year or more.
After 3-4 years of aging, sugar crystals come out and it is lip schmakin good !!!
I have a few pounds that is 8 years old and really special.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I just tried this about 2 weeks ago and it's darn tasty. I wasn't sure whether or not I liked it after the first bowl. But that second bowl was like sitting in your comfychair after a long day at work. Heaven.
I'm glad it ages well. Going to add it to the Cellar list.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
bigvan traded me my 965 for his 10 year old 5100. It was sweet and mellow, an all around delicious smoke. I bought "fresh" 5100 for comparison and even though it lacks a certain bit of finesse, it is one of my favorite all day smokes. Needless to say, I will be purchasing a lot more soon.

monstermash51

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 13, 2012
ohhhh. Got it. See I have a weird imagination and I thought it meant like a smokable paste :crazy:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Cake is generally tobacco that is pressed into a "cake" after its been shredded.

By comparison, a plug is unshredded tobacco that is pressed.

In this case, the pressed cake is rubbed out, so its loose.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I love 5100. Been a long while since I had any. I used to smoke it on the regular years ago. It is good new but 10 times the tobacco when it has been aged for a year or 2. I may have to order some soon.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Loose cake. Why don't they sell it in "cake" form?

P1311101.jpg

pawpaw

Lifer
Jun 25, 2011
cleveland NC
Cake is generally tobacco that is pressed into a "cake" after its been shredded.

By comparison, a plug is unshredded tobacco that is pressed.

that is some good info i was wondering what the diffrence in crumble cake and plug now i know

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
Just smoked a bowl in a big ben wade pipe.man i love that stuff.Sat in my

truck outside work till it was ashes.good thing i am the first one to

arrive because i was 10 minutes late finishing the bowl.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Red Va's are a favorite of mine as well.

My first exposure to 5100 was similar to spartans. Way too sweet, no good at all.

After adjusting the dryness and packing etc. I found it to be a great, great smoke!

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Hey Mike, unfortunately I have not tried any of the tobacs that you are wanting to blend so I have no advice to offer. I do not see why anyone might get pissed off due to your post. Perhaps the right person to offer their advice has yet to read this thread or your post. I wouldn't sweat it. We all love pipes and tobacs, that is why we are here.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I ask questions all the time and often they don't get answered lol
Don't sweat the small stuff. I can't answer your question because I've been smoking for 6 months lol
I can say that I wouldn't mix in such large quantities if you were trying something new.
Also this kind of question is off topic so that may deter people from responding. Make a new thread or find a more relevant one for these questions.
Happy Smoking. :puffy:

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
Im a big fan of 5100 I have 4oz in a jar that has been sitting for a year going up now to break it open

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Mike
Can't help you out either my friend... not a blender and only slowly getting to play with Periques
I've also noticed that during the day, response are slower. I guess work has this nasty habit of interfering with people being on PM here ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.