PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
As to the news of McClelland's end(Retirement)...What have you purchased as I am sure "a few" here when you had found out (myself included)...checked with your Local Tobacconist and Web Sites on grabbing anything on McClelland tobacco.

Either you are going to Flip, Store/Hoard & Smoke or Both and some can give a "Hoot" about the Brand. For me....Store/Hoard & Smoke
JR: 2 Virginia Woods 100g, 1 No.24 100g, 1 ST.James Woods 100g, 1 Blackwoods Flake 100g

CI: 2 ATP 50g, 6 OTT 50g

P&C:2 Balkan Blue 50g

TP: 8 Balkan Blue 50g

GTT:10 OTT 50g, 1 FM 100g, 1 OTT 100g

SP: 30 FMC 100g

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Nice stash Cohiba, looks like you have plenty to smoke. I found out about Mc closing on January 30th 2018. I had just fallen in love with Butera Royal Vintage: Dark Stoved so I began accumulating it. It took me a couple of weeks but I stopped buying at 140 tins. I figured I would smoke 1 tin a month for the next 11-12 years. I have no intention of trading any or selling any as I buy to smoke only. I bought most of mine from SP,4noggins and then one order from Iwan Reis.
On another subject. I assume from your handle you are a fan of Cohiba's. I got a private tour( not open to public) through their factory in Cuba in 2000. What I saw made me want to puke. The rollers couldn't have cared less at how they were rolling their cigars. I saw cigars being rolled that I knew were going to be plugged. Their quality control was non existent and I vowed after that I would stop buying Cohiba's even though I loved them.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Great haul Cohiba!
I got a private tour( not open to public) through their factory in Cuba in 2000. What I saw made me want to puke. The rollers couldn't have cared less at how they were rolling their cigars.
Those rollers got the boot...they ended up looking for work elsewhere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqQIm-AtsXs

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Over $500 just on Frog Morton Cellar!!! Ooooeeeee! I only spend that kind of dough on Condor Plug. Glad ya were able to score the stuff you love though!!!!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I got a private tour( not open to public) through their factory in Cuba in 2000. What I saw made me want to puke. The rollers couldn't have cared less at how they were rolling their cigars. I saw cigars being rolled that I knew were going to be plugged. Their quality control was non existent and I vowed after that I would stop buying Cohiba's even though I loved them.
Less than 1/10th of the smoking population would appreciate this statement. I am on one of them. And agree.

9mmpuffer

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2018
I smoked a bowl of Blackwoods flake tonight from 2010... Geez Louise, years from now we are going to realize what we lost. McClelland did for VAs what Padron did for non-Cuban cigars... they truly refined their craft and tonight it really hit me, what the pipe community lost. To think they were selling 50 grams of this stuff for $10, I think at 3x the price it would be the bargain of the century. Even though I have a cellar stocked for a lifetime, I kind of wish I had bought another 100-200 tins before they were gone, I may regret falling asleep at the wheel.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
On another subject. I assume from your handle you are a fan of Cohiba's. I got a private tour( not open to public) through their factory in Cuba in 2000. What I saw made me want to puke. The rollers couldn't have cared less at how they were rolling their cigars. I saw cigars being rolled that I knew were going to be plugged. Their quality control was non existent and I vowed after that I would stop buying Cohiba's even though I loved them.

Must been a very nice tour and shame on Cohiba...I still have 1/2 box of Esplendidos from 1998...Yes..One can also cellar Cigars. Very tasty and no issues on the roll. I been smoking Hoyo de Monterrey San Juan and what a tasty smoke and A1 construction.

I am set on McClelland...I will take 1 Tin of each to smoke now and will be cellaring the remaining for 5yrs. Just ordered from CupO'Joes G.L. Pease Quiet Nights 8 Oz. Another excellent blend.

coldsmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2016
Nunavut
I didn't get my $h&# together in time to load up on Balkan Beauty and 2020 but I did grab 5 tins of Frog Morton and a half dozen Blue Mountain to add to my modest McClelland stash.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I didn't count tins but I dropped about $1300 on McClellands this year alone to add to my existing $400-500 McClelland stash once the news broke on 5100.

It would have been more but I had dropped a sizable amount on the Dunhill stash too. Plus the McC bulk was pretty much wiped out quickly.
I think the sleeper in my McClelland stash is the CPCC New Century medium balkan blend. This stuff is a really great smoke, better than On the Town to me, and every one of them was tinned back in 2010, so 8 years of age to boot. Had I known that upfront, I would have bought at least double what I did.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Store/Hoard & Smoke
Yeah, that's me. Grabbed these as the axe was falling. With what's already cellared, I should be set for a couple of decades for McClellands.
Deep Hollow 50g x 10

Balkan Blue 50g x 10

Oriental No. 6 50g x 10

Oriental Cavendish 2 lbs.

Red Cake 2 lbs.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With the exception of their red Virginias, McClelland had never figured heavily into what I've cellared, so knowing that they were closing didn't cause me to rush to hoard. I did stock up on 40th, but that was before I was made aware of the McNeil's plans. I already had some Beacon, Beacon Extra, Tudor Castle, Yenidje Highlander, 22, 24, 25, 27, and various Christmas Cheers in the pile. So I purchased a few tins of blends that I had been curious to try, like Red and Black, but hadn't gotten around to, and a few pounds of 2015, 2010, and a bit more 5100. Not all that much. Then I watched the ensuing panic with great interest.
I was quite happy with my holdings as they were before all this. But it's nice to have a little ketchup now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.