PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Good afternoon,
So I am fascinated by the amazing McClelland Blend No. 2015. However, as we all know, these blends are no longer available. I have found that different shops call this blend something different. One of my local shops calls it their University Flake, while another hid it from us as a London Flake. I was wondering if anyone knows of any shop near them that has this blend under a different name.
It is a Virginia/Perique blend that is described as follows:

"Made of orange and red Virginia which has a dash of St. James Perique giving it a deep and satisfying flavor. It is a dark matured flake which smokes smooth and cool."
I am trying to buy a pound or two of this blend since it is my favorite so far and I know that some shop somewhere has a bag of this blend just sitting around.
Thanks for your help!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
2015 was a great bulk blend that was offered under another name by Peretti and probably a number of others. When McClelland officially announced their closing the piranha overwhelmed remaining stocks. It's now closing on 9 months since the closure and a lot of searchers have been hunting down remaining stock in B&M's, so it's going to be quite a stroke of luck to find any in the wild. But you never know. The truth is out there. You might have some luck offering to buy it when you qualify for the B/S/T board. Someone who bought 200+ pounds of it for his immediate use might be willing to part with some of it.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Great advice! I have less than an ounce of 2015 left myself and only open the jar to savor the aroma every now and again. Like all my remaining McClelland flakes - reserved for special relaxed occasions. Trying to find something similar but not much luck. Maybe with significant aging some of the other brands/blends of similar construction will be pleasant.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
One of my local shops calls it their University Flake, while another hid it from us as a London Flake
If anyone has any left you can bet they aren't calling by those names anymore! They are calling it McClelland Blend No. 2015 and charging dearly for it... :wink:

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Fair enough. I may go drive to some shops in the suburbs and see if I get lucky. I have had some good luck on the forums which is why I posted. I will let you guys know if I find a B&M that has a stash of this blend listed as something else.

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
A blend that has satisfied my taste for 2015 is Hearth & Home anniversary Kake.
https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2572/hearth-home-anniversary-kake

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
It was a great blend. My desert island va/per. But all god things... rather than chase it down I’m moving on. I’ve been into Rattrays & McConnell virginias that seem to scratch that itch.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
Doubt it would help much but I've been told that the Nording Beagle blend is just a tinned version of the McClelland 2015. I scooped up a few tins of it and was planning on doing a comparison when I got down to the last of my stash of 2015. As others have said, I'm enjoying my remaining McClelland blends on special occasions but still attempting to find replacements for daily usage. H&H Anniversary Kake is definitely a fine Va/per that I have stashed away dozens of pounds of. GL Pease makes some fine Va/pers, Fillmore being one of my favorites. And then of course if you can ever find SG St. James Flake that is another that I never hesitate to cellar and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.