PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
McClelland Blackwoods Flake is certainly one of the top Virginia smokes Ive tried so far. Ive looked for the sweeter Red Virginia tobaccos in its purest form and sampled several. This one gets top marks from me.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Agreed. Pretty amazing stuff. First tobacco that just made my mouth water when I tried it. Dark Star, if it works for you, is also quite good. Some people swear its like trying to smoke shoe leather, but I did not have a problem with it.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I looked at Dark Star when ordering the Blackwoods. I didn't see McClelland Red and Black. I kinda like the idea of mixing two types, but I wonder about the flavors blending over time.
McCrannies Red Ribbon and McClelland 5200, hmmm, I'll check em out!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
its McClelland 5100 and McCranies for those who are searching like I was. I'm keen on flakes and higher nic so the Blackwoods Flakes still seem to be my pick judging from details alone. ANother sweet one I found although not pure Va was Orlics Dark Strong Kentucky.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I read that bright Virginia's are not as sweet as the reds, therefore my search for the pure reds, but I did find one contradicting statement somewhere. I need to see what my taste buds say I suppose.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I think I see what you mean, Ive smoked Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake which seems to be more on the lighter color side and has that pleasant "haylike" taste. Is that what you mean Cosmic?

Status
Not open for further replies.