PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I have put this under discussion rather than review as I really do not feel qualified to review anything yet.
I was given a pretty generous sampling of Blackwood Flake and was pretty excited to try it as I generally like Virginia blends.
On first opening that bag it was the often mentioned Ketchup/Vinegar scent that people talk about with McClelland, although I found this a little more Barbecue Sauce smelling than Ketchup. A little smokey almost. I noticed for a broken flake it was quite moist so rubbed a bowl out and let it sit open for about 40 minutes prior to loading into a straight Billiard that has a decent size bowl. I used what I think is termed inverted gravity load. I seem to have the most luck/consistency with this type of packing.
This first bowl was one of the most frustrating tobaccos i have yet to try. I would not win any pipe smoking competitions I generally get through a bowl with only a handful of re-lights. This stuff would not stay lit for me. The taste was very acidic. Almost like I was smoking the vinegar barbecue sauce concoction I was smelling when first opening and rubbing it out. On rare occasions I would get a glimpse of the Virginia sweetness but that was rare and infrequent.
Convinced I wanted to make this tobacco work for me I rubbed another Bowl out at Lunch time and let it breath on my desk for 4-5 hours. Loaded a pipe up for my commute home and tried again. This time it was far easier to keep lit. But the acidic taste was still there. I managed to finish the bowl by the end of my hour drive with only 3-4 relights, so progress was made.
A few days later and having smoked mostly english blends I decided to give it another go with this broken flake. Prior to going to bed I rubbed out a bowl's worth and let it sit over night. The next morning it was pretty dry feeling but packed reasonably well. Finally the acidic taste was gone. But I found the Virginia sweetness to still be in and out. At times it was great but then would slowly fade off into a mediocre mouthful of warm air.
For me the amount of lead time to dry and prep a bowl of this does not justify the end smoke. I know some reviews are pretty high for it but personally I do not see it. I will store the remainder of my sample and revisit in a year or two to see if my opinion changes

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The dry time seems rather discouraging as you state. How's the relative humidity where you are located? Your choice of pipe may also be an issue. Try smoking it carefully in a pipe with a smaller chamber.
You'll definately need to do more fiddling before you get it down right.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
I agree with the dry time is both needed and extensive. I find that Dark Star is a much more enjoyable smoke of Mc C's aged VA choices.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
You call yourself an unskilled reviewer, but it seems to me that your words are very well thought out and based on solid experience. Sounds like a pretty good review to me. Thanks for revisiting the blend a few times and for sharing your experiences/frustrations with us. I look forward to many more reviews from you in the future.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@derrick, I hear ya. I had a tin of McClelland Christmas Cheer and felt just like you: "I don't get it."
I tried a bunch of times to get through it, but the flakes gave me a fit. I dried it, I rubbed them apart ... but I could never get the bowl to stay lit for the life of me. I finally gave up, tossed it all into a mason jar and pushed it into the back of my cabinet where it has been since December.
Even then, I can't say (on reflection) that I really enjoyed the taste of the straight Virginias when the bowl WAS lit.
I guess I'll just have to follow @coalsmoke's advice.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
Thanks for the added tips. Maybe on a day where my blood pressure is a little low I will try not rubbing it out and cube or fold it. If the glimpses of Virginia that periodically showed their face stayed through out the bowl I would be a little more excited to try again. It some ways it reminds me of my experience with #24, so maybe it just me and McClellands in general

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Blackwoods flake and most McC Va's you have to pop the tin and then let it sit with the lid on for about 2 weeks, them something happens to it. I had a similar experience at first with it, very unimpressed, but then after reading reviews and finding alot of advice to let it sit for a bit, it really started to get a nice tangy flavor. If you have it in a mason jar just open and close it every day to let new air in and that should do the trick, then try it again in a few weeks and you should be pleasantly surprised. I found too there wasn't much flavor at first so just by drying it, it still wouldn't of made a very good smoke. But don't give up on it until you give it it's proper treatment.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@andrew, I may go break out the jar with the Christmas Cheer to try it again. Its been in there for almost 7 months now, should I still let it air out for awhile?

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
you have to pop the tin and then let it sit with the lid on for about 2 weeks
+1 Andrew ... maybe even 3 or 4 weeks. (edit: or months as Sam said)

After that amount of time the tangy / acidic tones calm down quite a bit.
I just popped a tin of DarkStar from 2011 that took a good 3 weeks to transform.

After that amount of time I cubed it and let it sit overnight ... fantastic smoke!
One last thing ... take your smallest pieces and rub them out fine.

Make this your top layer and it will help form a good ember.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
One question cobguy. After you cubed it, did you let it sit out overnight, or did you put it back in the tin and let sit overnight? I don't have much experience with flakes, and want to make sure I understand your procedure

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
David,
The initial 3-4 weeks is in the original tin ... popping the lid every other day or so.

Then, I'll cube cut enough for 3-4 bowls and put it in an empty tin.

Here in AZ, overnight is almost always enough time.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Ah, thanks cobguy. I will plug this into the little grey cells upstairs and hope I remember it.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It does need drying time. I pop my tins of McClellands and let them sit with the plastic cover on for 2 weeks. Then cube cut 1/3 of the tin and dry overnight. Rest goes in a jar.
If you think this baccy is wet and frustrating. .. try a SG flake like best brown...One of my favs

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Since the guys who advocate popping the lid, re-capping the tin, and waiting several weeks seem to get good results,

I think there's more to this than simply letting it dry out. It seems like it might be microbial activity restarting or taking a

different metabolic pathway. :puffpipe:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That's funny Cortez ... I was thinking about that this morning when I popped open a couple of lids.
Perhaps it's a transfer from anaerobic to aerobic state whereby oxidation slowly begins to transorm the more

acidic components to smoother and more mellow compounds?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I think that's exactly it, like letting a good wine breathe, it will still be too moist to smoke usually even after the 2-4 week period, I have a tin of BF that's going on over 6 months, I just keep adding a bit of moisture to it, and it keeps getting better. Even Peck was mentioning opening a tin of Christmas Cheer that had probably 10 years of age on it and he still had to undergo this process. It's not aging, it's something else. I don't try to explain it, I just know it works.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
I have a tin of BF that's going on over 6 months, I just keep adding a bit of moisture to it, and it keeps getting better
And you keep it right in the tin? Just add moisture to it as needed (i.e., not rehydration, but more like keeping it an ideal point of moisture?). I've got a tin of Blackwoods lined up, so it looks like I'll have to do a little planning ahead on this one.
Great thread!

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
I TAKE OUT 2 FLAKES IN THE MORNING AND BY THE NEXT AFTERNOON I TAKE THEM FOLD THEM AND PUSH THEM IN A GOOD SIZE BULLDOG AND IT SMOKES JUST FINE.

Jun 25, 2014
> TAKE OUT 2 FLAKES IN THE MORNING AND BY THE NEXT AFTERNOON I TAKE THEM FOLD THEM

> AND PUSH THEM IN A GOOD SIZE BULLDOG AND IT SMOKES JUST FINE.
My approach - works fine. But Dark Star needs two days.

Status
Not open for further replies.