PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
What is your opinion on this tobacco?
I just received some from P&C today and I'm a bit flustered by it. It smells and looks like an aromatic almost feels like they gave me the wrong tobacco. I've never tried this before so I have nothing to base it on. I guess I was expecting a more straight forward red Virginia blend with some of the notorious ketchup smell. I have the box sitting next to me at work and I can smell a potpourri from 3 feet away me(none of the fermented smell I love). Does anybody in here like this blend. I'll be loading my bowl for the ride home but not sure what pipe to smoke this stuff out of, because by the aroma I think it might ghost a pipe.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Red Cake by McClelland or by McMurtry which I think is better must be smoked very slowly or it will bite. Also, if you commit it to a jar it smokes better with some age on it say about a year or two.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
@olewaylon: sounds like you may have received the wrong tobacco. There is a catsup smell in 5100, although it is more slight than some McClelland Virginias. It does not have an aromatic smell. I love this blend and have 2 pounds aging in my cellar. It is a great, straight-forward smoke. It may be too plain for some palates but I like it. Many use it as a base to mix other tobaccos but I usually smoke it straight or with a pinch of blending Perique.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Flyguy, I'm really starting to think I received the wrong tobacco. Because this stuff doesn't seem like anything I've read from any reviews on 5100. The Tobacco is very dark shiny and smells exactly like potpourri and very powerful, I could smell it right when i opened the box.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I don't get a strong ketchup smell from 5100, I get a sweet mildly ketchup aroma. I have to concentrate on a sniff to detect the slight vinegar smell. I've smoked a few bowls of plain 5100, and it is a very sweet, easy smoking VA. Mostly, I mix some McC blending Perique at 16% and I love it that way. A very good tobac.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Can you take a picture and post it on here? If so I can tell you from look if it's probably 5100 or not.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
@olewaylon: 5100 is not dark and shiny. It is lighter and is browinsh-red from the red Virginias. I second Roth's advice.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
olewaylon
[/url][/img]
Here is the picture.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
From that picture it doesn't look like the 5100 I have. Could be the closeness of the picture or maybe the lighting though.
This is what mine looks more like:
mc5100.jpg

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
My 5100 looks a bit more uniform in color; more red/orange. Difficult to tell from the photo. I think the smell is the ultimate deciding factor.

Fitzy's photo is dead-on.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
from the picture that fitzy posted I don't see any way that it could be the same tobacco. Seems like mine has way too many different shades of tobacco and there isn't much red to speak of.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
Flyguy you mention the smell. what kind of aroma do you detect when you smell 5100?

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
@ olewaylon: A mild catsup (ketchup) smell with a slight undertone odor of figs or raisins (secondary smell).

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
To me it looks like you have way too much light colored tobacco in that picture and not enough reds. So unless the color is off I'd say it's not 5100.
With 5100 because it's bulk I find that I can just barely smell that ketchup smell.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just re-supplied my 5100 and put it in a jar. It's pretty dark. Greatest in the world straight up or mixed.

It's one of those tobaccos, you just run out, it sneaks up on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.