PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I've never smoked this stuff before, but I'm interested in buying maybe a half pound of it to split into jars for aging, based on reviews.
But I'm wondering if anyone has any particularly good blending recipes or ideas for this stuff. I'm not huge into burleys and don't smoke aromatics at all. A little perique is the classic call and I'll definitely try that, but I'd also be interested in pairing 5100 with a little latakia, and then another bit with a little oriental mix, just to see how really simple mixtures interact.
Anyone got any advice?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like equal parts of 5100, Lanes Burley Without Bite, and a hefty pinch of black Cavendish (plain or lighty aro). Or if you choose to

leave out the burley, equal parts of 5100 and Cavendish, with well rubbed (small pieces) of Perique and/or Izmir. You can tune this

flavorwise to suit your taste. In general, keeping it to two or three tobaccos will give better results. When I've thrown everything in

at once, it becomes harsh and the good flavors are lost. Personally, I don't make up a big batch. I will mix about three or four pipe

bowls worth, in a ceramic bowl (one thrown by a potter, just because it's appetizing). I'm not trying to create a private blend, I just

like to experiment, and usually get something tasty. Then I go back to the professional blends, which are dependable and great.

I do nice mixes, but the pros earn their keep.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I made a blend from a recipe I found online called Arabica.

Stoved Red Virginia 42%

Black Cavendish 17%

Blended Turkish Ribbon 33%

Perique 8%

To stove red virginia, put the red VA in a baking dish, lightly mist with distilled water, less water as you can always add more, and bake in over at 250F for one hour.
Good luck!

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
+1 on the Arabica. I tried that one after reading the previous forum. I really enjoyed it.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/your-custom-blend. I also like to mix my Daughters & Ryan Ramback and Rimbouche blends with my Virginias.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I got good results by adding about 10% Turkish ribbon, 6% Perique, and a ground-up pinch of deertongue -- and I do mean a pinch!

(If you can positively identify the deertongue in the blend, then you've added too much.)
For me, one of the frustrations of home blending is that one usually has to wait a few weeks for the flavors to merge.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I try to make the distinction in posts between mixing and blending. I don't use pressure or aging in combining tobaccos,

so I'm not really blending them. I leave that to the professionals, though I tip my hat to those who do home blending.

I only mix tobaccos and let it dry overnight. Sometimes they last nicely for several days, or actually somewhat improve.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I don't believe much in mixing. Why bother with so many blends to try -- regardless of the genre smoked.
That said, I have done some using 3 Virginias:

- Newminster's 701 Va a more fruity Va

- H&H Red Virginia -- deeper Va w. Perique

- 5105 Stoved Va for a neutral, sweet Va
When I get something I almost acceptable or I don't quite care for, one or more of those can make it more acceptable and not a waste.
One thing I might suggest. If you don't know Perique or another condiment, buy an ounce or two and mix it with a bit of something you do like and note the difference. It a good way to learn about what that condiment brings to the party.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I smoke a bowl of 5100 occasionally with a pinch of McClellend blending Perique. 5100 is also surprisingly good mixed 50/50 with Carter Hall. Try it, you'll like it! :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Why mix with so many good blends? Good question. I think sometimes it just suits me to have something different.

Or there will be one tobacco that smokes well on its own, but I just want to have an additional flavor with it.

Or there's a tin of something aging, and I want something like that, but not yet. Most of what I smoke is blended

by others, but I'd miss the occasional home mix a lot.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
@mso489: It is all about our own individual preference and taste. Some of us like variety and experimentation more than others. I wouldn't think of mixing some blends as they are perfection in themselves. But why not play around with base type tobaccos like 5100 or Carter Hall? I am not saying they are not good by themselves but tweaking is fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.