PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Back in.... I sent an email curious to see if it's dated 2017 or 2018. I'll report back when they advise.

Price has also gone up a fraction. Every time they restock, it creeps up. Fair enough though.... capitalism is king.

This one is good, but not "slap yo mama" good. Besides the sky is falling, McClelland is going out of business conspiracy theorist folks, I am not sure why this one has such a run on it. If it were released 5 years ago, most would have merely talked about it to be able to make ketchup jokes. There are many other McClelland blends that blow this blend out of the water.

You guys keep taking the bait, and I will keep grabbing up the better blends. :puffy:

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
I think it's the Bitcon effect, Cosmic......the fear of missing out, combined with a bit of hysteria - it's a recipe for empty shelves and big monthly credit card statements.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
I pretty much smoke a bowl of ketchup from McC everyday! be it Tudor Castle, BWF, SJW, Christmas Cheer, Dark Star, etc.. So I am very familiar with Mikes blends, 40th is the best I've ever smoked when it comes to straight Reds! Its Earthy, sweet, tangy, spicy. The quality is top notch and I can only imagine what will few years of age will do to an already great smoking leaf. There is hype with anything hard to get! But 40th is no Hype, its that good if you are Red Virginia lover. And if you are not than leave the stock to others who love Reds.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I agree. Straight red Virginia isn't a particularly complex blend, but for those who really like straight reds, this one is a winner! If you don't like the ketchup you can diminish it by opening the tin a couple of weeks before using and air it out daily by popping the lid for a minute.
I've never been a huge McClelland smoker, but I stock a few that I like, and this is one that I like a lot.

Tastes are different. I have been accused of being a McClelland fanboy long before this bandwagon was even harnessed to the rumors. I also smoke a McClellands Virginia everyday in my rotation, and I also happen to prefer to reds. Like I said it's good, but maybe explore around in some of their other selections.

It's definitely not hype if everyone is doing it, right? ha ha.
I wasn't suggesting that I don't like their ketchup, personally it turns me on. :puffy:

Jul 12, 2011
Some of my fav MC blends; Tudor Castle, Blackwoods Flake, Bombay Court and Extra, St. James Wooods and 3 Oaks Syrian - I started out with these blends but man, when I just started in the hobby and smoking WAY too fast these bad boys tore my mouth up something fierce , hehe

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
40th Ann. is one of the five best tobaccos I've ever smoked. It's not hype, it truly is that good, it's the best non-English tobacco I've ever tried. However, everyone's tastes are different, that why they make so many blends.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I agree with Cosmic on this one but in my opinion 2015 is as good as anything they tin. I buy that one by the truckload and jar it up. I think it’s just as good if not better than this release plus the Perique adds a bit more flavor and complexity. I do enjoy 40th Anniversary Flake but the 5 tins I have in my cellar will last me a lifetime.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm finally getting around to smoking 4 ops of GH Curly Cut that I've had since 2012. It's good but not close to theist good VA I smoked, 2012 Christmas Cheer. Not as full nor as deep.

Oct 7, 2016
Interesting thread. I have been touting the 40th since I smoked through a tin from the first batch. I am a certified McClelland Virginia lover. I rate this one on par with their best Virginias red or otherwise. Not sure that I would rate any as best ever. Too many variables.

Move 'em on!! Press 'em in!! H'ya, H'ya!!! :puffy:

cattle-680x365.jpg

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
haha, great photo!
I read or heard that there were 10k tins were being made, was that for 2017 year? or the the whole 40th blend?

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Regardless of tastes, preferences and opinions.... I think it's brilliant that this is somewhat readily available!
In a time when global forces are uniting against tobacco consumption in all its forms - it is encouraging to be able to buy a high grade pipe tobacco at an affordable price. When governments restrict its trade, payment processors deny transactions, and then farmers and growers become unable to produce the quality and quantity you are used to..... You will be glad you stocked up!
I also think it's great that those who stocked up for the purposes of flipping are having their marketplace diluted. Seriously, why don't they just focus on scalping sports and concert tickets and leave us alone.
As a non US resident, I can assure you that the rest of the world would kill (metaphorically, of course) to have access to the avaialbailty and pricing that you US folk do. We are all very envious about that!

Oct 7, 2016
When governments restrict its trade, payment processors deny transactions, and then farmers and growers become unable to produce the quality and quantity you are used to..... You will be glad you stocked up!
True that. But it has been going on with tobacco for longer than most realize. The market for US tobacco exported to England was reduced by 80% or more in the 1920's when GB switched from more or less "free trade" to a system of "Commonwealth preferences".

Status
Not open for further replies.