PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I am interesting to hear experience in comparing 3 oaks Syrian versus Samovar (both McClellands blends). I have the 3 oaks and I definitely like it. The question is if Samovar is different enough (and if yes in which way differs) to justify its purchase or if it is just a close replica.

Jun 27, 2016
You might want to try Wilderness over Samovar if you want another McC with a healthy dose of Syrian (and Cyprian) Latakia in it, but different than 3OS. Despite the low levels of Latakia in Samovar, it is probably closer to 3OS in flavor than it is to Wilderness, but the Samovar seemed a little muddled up or muted somehow, and it's more difficult than I expected to dissect the flavors in that blend, especially at first when I first opened the tin. I actually thought that it had some unflavored black Cavendish in it at first, toning down the flavors. That lessened over time as it sat in the jar and the flavors opened up a little as time went on, but I thought that Wilderness is more complex and a little sweeter, and the two types of Latakia and some of the Orientals in it help it out overall to have more flavors too.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
It's been a year or so since I've smoked them, but my impression was that 3 Oaks Syrian was Lat forward and a little rough. Many reviewers on TR thought it was smooth and mellow, so I may be an outlier. Samovar was smoother and more balanced, but not rich enough for me. Both were good, but not good enough to make it into my rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.