McClelland 2020 - Whats An Equivalent Tinned Version?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

birko

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
I have really grown fond of McClelland's 2020 matured cake. It has a strong and rich oriental character and I'm a big oriental fan. Not much nicotine but worth it for the flavor alone. According to McClelland the main oriental in it is Xanthi.
Is there a premium tinned version or has anyone had another McClelland blend which is similar? One of the grand oriental series perhaps?
Birko

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Take a look at the grand orientals line.
It's funny I love a ton of their tins and in particular the grand orientals line but I have a hard time liking 2020 and most of their bulk tobacco's for some reason.

Jun 27, 2016
Full disclosure, I don't think that I have smoked 2020, but based on the description, probably "Blakeney's Best" is what you want. :puffy:

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I'm with Tom on this. I'm always stumped when people say they found a bulk they like and then they want to know where they can spend more money on it so that it's in a little tin. :crazy:

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I buy tinned for the cellar. It already comes with a little bit of age and it's already in it's perfect environment. A lot of times the tinned tobacco is "fresher", sometimes the bulk tobaccos can dry up at the retailers, thus losing a lot of flavor. I don't think it's weird at all. A lot of people prefer the the tin over bulk.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
@Hawky - I don't disagree with that. All valid points. I guess I'm simply saying, if you have a blend in bulk that you like, and the same blend is NOT offered in a tin, why settle for an alternative simply to have the tin.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo bir - to answer your original question, the tin that jumps to mind is No.24 from the Matured Virginia series in the brown labels. But there are significant differences, since the Oriental varietal is Drama rather than Xanthi and 2020 has some Latakia. The Virginias are not as bright. Likely there will be a large age difference if you were to buy both at the same time. The tins will probably have some some age on them, plus McClelland pre-ages them; whereas bulks at stores with fast turnover will be younger.
hp

les

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I buy tinned for the cellar.
I am with most others on this, if you love a bulk blend, then why not just put it in a jar (or a tin) to store or carry it. Of course once you open a tin, it really isn't a very good container for long, you wouldn't want to leave it in for years. I cellar some tins because I HAVE to, not because I want to. Each holds too small a quantity, they can leak, rust, have those crappy FDA labels on them, couldn't care less about the art because I don't sit in my cellar and stare at them, and with jars, YOU have control on how they are stored and can look through the glass to see if any problems are developing, not open the tin months or years later only to get a big disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.