PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
I was originally going to just PM this to Cortez and Roth because our tastes can be quite similiar but I figured that was rather silly, when I could just tell everyone.
I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase of this tobacco but I've really been enjoying Tudor Castle. It's got that McCelland's rich, saucy Virginia taste, but with a hint of cedar or something (Yes "something" is how my tongue describes it) coming off the Orientals. I don't get the herby/onion/olive taste from the Orientals.
I get a spicy ginger like taste either from the Perique or combination of it with the other tobaccos but it doesn't come over the top of the Virginias. Like I said I'm only one tin into it, but this has been a VERY nice find for me. In some ways it's similar to Beacon but Beacon comes across a little heavy and rich for me sometimes and it's something I enjoy but have to have to be in the mood for. T. Castle is more balanced in my opinion with softer edges. It pairs equally well with a coffee or a nice ale.
Just my 2 cents.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have not tried this tobacco, but I was drawn into the description. I have 2 tins tucked away in my cellar.

The tin you're smoking now, did it have some age on it, or is it fresh?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I get a spicy ginger like taste either from the Perique or combination of it with the other tobaccos but it doesn't come over the top of the Virginias.
That's typical of the VaPerO's I've tried --- lots of warm spices like ginger, allspice and clove. They're not usually mentioned as a genre, but they really are. And I think Tudor Castle is one of the best -- the Yenidje is just to die for.
Besides Tudor Castle, I've also tried Ashton Pebble Cut, which is also very good. It's more sweet, almost like candied orange peel (or a candied VaPer), but with some of the warm spices in there, too. The Pebble Cut is steamed and aged, so it has a darker VA character than Tudor Castle. I prefer the Tudor Castle.
I've also mixed some fresh Christmas Cheer with a little perique and a good dose of Izmir -- that was also really good, with lots of allspice and coconut-like flavors.
I'm eager to try the Low Country VaPerO (forget what it's called), but Roth has written it up on here somewhere.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Neil. It was a 2012. Its pretty sweet as is. Personally I am starting to believe I like the "hay like" Virginas aged a bit. Sometimes they seem to thin, but this is very rich. LBF springs to mind when I say it tastes thin when its fresh. The LBF batch I pulled at a year old had a richer body to it, IMO.
Pitch. Good info. I'm definetly intered in sniffing out a few more VaPerOrs. I like Virginia based tobaccos but I really don't enjoy Virginia on its own. I need a body and roundness to go with it.
Roth I always hesitate to tell another piper what they'll like, but I know you've got a Oriental and Virginia you like to mix up as a standbye. I think this is worth a try but honestly McCelland's really hits a lot of my sweet spots as a blending house. Its weird, some blenders I just DON'T care for and some are perfect fits.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I've been smoking a recently opened Tudor Castle Arcade tin i got of ebay from 2008. Im enjoying it and it smokes well. My only complaint is it might have a little too much nicotine for my tastes. In small quantities its great... pack a big bowl and id better be sitting down for it :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.